Resolved What speed to expect over WiFi (rMBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dastinger, Sep 18, 2013.

1. dastinger, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Hey,

My connection has a 120Mbit/s download speed and I can get that speed when connected using an Ethernet cable on my iMac. But, over WiFi, testing under the same conditions (but on my 2012 rMBP), all I can get is 70Mbit/s. The Router is Wireless N so I should be getting much more speed, right?

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

What router do you have. The rMBP supports 450 Mbps on 5 GHz band. If your router is only 2x2 then your maximum speed is 300 Mbps and the real life throughput is around 100 Mbps only if you're 5 feet away from the router. You can purchase a N900 router like Asus RT-N66U which is a 3x3 router and can supply 450 Mbps connection and your maximum throughput will be around 150Mbps which is enough to support your 120 Mbit/s connection.

3. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

I use a Time Capsule as my access point, when connected at 5GHz in the same room I get a stable 450 Mbps.

4. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

The router is ISP specific. I can't even find out what brand/model that is but, on the specs, it says that it is a b/g/n up to 300Mbps router. I have no idea what 2x2 or 3x3 mean.. how can I know that and what does it mean?

When I do the tests, I'm like 15 feet away from the router. Should I try standing next to it and perform the test?

I live in a 3 story house and the router I have performs good when it comes to good signal everywhere. The Asus costs €125 where I live.. the AirPort Express costs €99. Are we looking at the same type of product regarding quality and specs?

Thanks a lot for your help.

5. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

I've been busy all the time. Just buy something that says 450Mbps or N900 router and problem solved. Asus RT-N66U or latest gen Apple Airport Extreme (not express) is all you need to get all that speed on your rMBP.

6. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

No problem at all. At least you didn't forget to reply.

Oh, the Airport Extreme is way more expensive so I guess I'll go with the Asus.. they're one of the best Router brands anyway.

Thank you for all your help!