What speed will AT&T 3g offer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aerospace, May 12, 2008.

1. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have a phone currently on at&t 3g to provide a benchmark? How about Tmobile or other US provider?

2. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

The S-GOLD3H is capable of "delivering download speeds up to 7.2Mbit/second, WCDMA with 384kbit/second simulataneous upload and download."

3. yayaba macrumors 6502

To answer the OP's question, here's around what I get when I tether by taking out the iPhone SIM and putting it inside a LG 3G phone. I tether via Bluetooth to my Macbook:

Down: 600-800kbps
    Up: 200kbps
    Ping: 100ms

Note that doing over Bluetooth I'm getting limited by Bluetooth so I might actually be able to get faster if I tethered it via USB.

I don't expect AT&T and Apple to enable the tethering functions of the next iPhone so if you want to tether, you'll either have to hack the phone or like me, get a secondary phone for tethering.

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

That's faster than my dsl at home =(.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

But we will not see such speeds as those on the iPhone 3G. My Sprint Broadband card which is 3G typically gets about 1.2-1.3Mbit/s and upload is about 300-400/Kbit/s. This seems about what we could expect with AT&T 3G.

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

That's still faster than my dsl at home =(.

How does that speed compare with the Blackberrys? Someone told me that the Blackberrys are faster than any other phone. =/

7. yayaba macrumors 6502

All Blackberry's use EDGE. The new one that came out (Bold) has 3G which will run at the same speed as AT&T's 3G.

The speed may be faster than your DSL but your DSL doesn't have 100ms latencies.

8. f1 macrumors 6502

3G can theoretically go up to 7.2mb/s depending on the area. However realistically you can exepct approximately 1 mb/sec 3 if your lucky.

As for using AT&T's netowkr to replace your home internet, that's a violation of AT&T's ToS if your not using a plan where your allowed to tether. Replacing your home internet with an AT&T Data plan that's not approved for tethering will raise red flags on your account. There have been cases where customers who were not on approved plans for tethering being hit with PPU charges and having the accounts permanently suspended.

And as for the T-Mobile Question, the T-Mobile 3G network at this point is limited to major urban centers, and uses a totally different frequency compared to AT&T's 3G network, it is unclear whether the upcoming 3G iPhone will work on T-Mobiles 3G network.

And as for Blackberry's in certain scenarios, Blackberry's are very fast compared to other phones because the data is highly compressed.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Telstra's NextG is 7.2Mbps here, Optus is currently investing a crap load of cash into a rival nation wide network (98% of the population to be covered) that will be 7.2Mbps from the outset and ramping up to 42Mbps by 2010.

It's pretty quick.

10. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Here you go...

fast.

(Well, shoot. Even though I'm providing the answer as a URL, I suppose it would be bad form to make this a one-word post. So here you go.)