What Speeds on Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex Desk Adapter?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by md63, Jul 17, 2012.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

For those of you with the GoFlex Thunderbolt Desk adapter what transfer speeds have you experienced with different drives? I purchased the*adapter and 3TB combo and have been getting 170MB/s write and 180MB/s reads. I installed an OCZ Agility 3 128MB SSD and was seeing approximately the same transfer speeds which surprised me and I was wondering if the adapter was limiting the SSD. I also have the Lacie Esata Thunderbolt hub with an Esata raid 5 enclosure and was seeing 180MB/S writes and 210 MB/S reads.

I know the OCZ drive isn't the best but I thought it would out perform the stock Seagate drive. Any explanations? Thanks

2. Nemic macrumors member

Hi, I have the same device - I think.

With a Seagate drive 3TB - the one designed for the GoFlex desk - I am getting
    121 MB/s read and
    120 MB/s write. I actually think this is pretty fast.

This was tested using Blackmagic Disk Speed test.

I also have the GoFlex portable thunderbolt adapter, and have used a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD with this. The speeds are:

Read 259 MB/s and
    Write 380 MB/s.

Using the portable 1TB drive that is designed for the portable adapter, the speeds are:

Read 85 MB/s and
    Write 85 MB/s

I have not yet tried using the SSD on the Desktop Thunderbolt adapter.

3. Jerezanito macrumors newbie

about the adapter , in the new box with the adapter have a usb flash stick with some drivers for the mac, I have an imac 21.5" late 2011 with thunderbolt in and I have a 3TB goflex HD with and I planning buy the thunderbolt adapter but I saw some reviews about the adapter and they said 2tb or lees is fine for the adapter but if use more that 2tb like mine 3 tb not work or you need the flash stick with the drivesr for work with more that 2 tb I hope you help me with this thank you...

4. bniu macrumors 6502a

Fast enough. I have a crucial M4 plugged into one, runs at native speeds for me.

5. Nemic macrumors member

I do seem to remember the USB flash drive in the packaging.

However I did not need to use the Flash drive to get my 3TB drive to work. I was running OSX Lion at the time, and it recognised the drive as having 3TB as soon as I plugged it in. This is on a mid 2011 MacBook Air.