What Speedtest method do you use on iPhone?

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What app does everyone use to run speed tests on their iPhone? Everyone always seems to display the same photo.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
The speedtest.net app is rubbish. They need to update it as it no longer works and gives ridiculous inaccurate results.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I've gotten rather consistent and accurate results with the speedtest.net app. I usually find that manually setting a server of my choice gives me better results that are on par with computer based tests.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Why do you say this?
Because the speedtest app results are incorrect.

For example, running it on both my iPad and iPhone it says my upload speed is 15Mbps and varies wildly each test between 9Mbps and 30Mbps. My cable connection is 5Mbps upload. The website works fine on the Mac but the app is broken.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
That speedtest app / site is all a big scam to collect data and info about users and their phones. I refuse to take part in it. My privacy is important to me.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
And your claiming massive fraud by a well-known entity with no proof provided does?
Assumptions can be made upon many things. Such as the look of food means it tastes bad, color of hair makes a person bad, or even price of tea in china.
However the lack of proof does not automatically nullify them.

At one time, our government used to work for the people. Yet we know it now works for corporations. Proof? Eh... Yet we still vote, but only for a 2 party system in which said government endorses and resists additional new parties.

I don't agree with his statement, but I won't nullify it simply because of a belief that I have is different than his/hers.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't agree with his statement, but I won't nullify it simply because of a belief that I have is different than his/hers.
Who said anything about nullifying it?

You'll notice I said nothing about his original post. I only responded after he criticized the other poster for not contributing to the thread properly.

That was the issue, not his opinion.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That speedtest app / site is all a big scam to collect data and info about users and their phones. I refuse to take part in it. My privacy is important to me.
Speedtest app does not have access to anything outside its own program. You can verify this using some basic dev tools.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Speedtest app does not have access to anything outside its own program. You can verify this using some basic dev tools.
In iOS 5 and below it can access the address book, IP addresses of the device, camera roll, and location.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Assumptions can be made upon many things. Such as the look of food means it tastes bad, color of hair makes a person bad, or even price of tea in china.
However the lack of proof does not automatically nullify them.

At one time, our government used to work for the people. Yet we know it now works for corporations. Proof? Eh... Yet we still vote, but only for a 2 party system in which said government endorses and resists additional new parties.

Speedtest app isnt a app written by the CIA to pull data off the phone to track people though or whatever is being assumed here. When the topic starts to change to a conspiracy theory either for marketing or government agendas its just that a theory brought on by the lack of understanding....the brain filling in the gaps. However if someone cared to learn some dev code only the facts would be left...

----------

In iOS 5 and below it can access the address book, IP addresses of the device, camera roll, and location.
I'm not saying its impossible it CANT do devious things. I'm just saying it doesnt....

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Speedtest app isnt a app written by the CIA to pull data off the phone to track people though or whatever is being assumed here.
Lets use the logic Small White Car did, you know the one I replied to.

Where's your proof? See how it goes both ways? Just I was saying.

Which means all opinions have a certain validity.