Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Hey Guys,

I just got my new iPhone 6 and noticed a lack of optimized and updated sports apps for iOS 8 and the iPhone 6. So, I'm just wondering what sports app everyone's using as their go to. I know ESPN has a nice widget (which I use) but I don't like actually using the app because it's just laid out poorly, imo. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yahoo! Sports is quite good, and has a widget.

There's also Sports Alerts (which also has a widget).

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Score Mobil is my favorite sports app. Not sure if optomized

When you guys use score mobile is the status bar black and not easily viewable? My status bar is black and blends into the app. Hopefully they will update it and fix that issue.

----------

The Score is the best sports score app imo.

Is your status bar black?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When you guys use score mobile is the status bar black and not easily viewable? My status bar is black and blends into the app. Hopefully they will update it and fix that issue.

----------

It's white for me. It should change if needed so that it would be visible.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO

----------

When you say status bar what exactly are you talking about? The interface is mostly black.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
How about Bleacher Report.

I love bleacher report for news alerts, but not when I want to check scores.

----------

When you say status bar what exactly are you talking about? The interface is mostly black.

Oh yeah I know, I mean the status bar where the carrier, time, and battery are.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Yeah that's how mine is. I'm not as dark as yours but close. I'm not really worried about seeing carrier, time etc. I'm there to see sports scores so it don't bother me

----------

a027342de15a4b6e11a2ba05f6ce72dc.jpg

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Hey Guys,

I just got my new iPhone 6 and noticed a lack of optimized and updated sports apps for iOS 8 and the iPhone 6. So, I'm just wondering what sports app everyone's using as their go to. I know ESPN has a nice widget (which I use) but I don't like actually using the app because it's just laid out poorly, imo. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

ESPN Sports Center Widget gets it done for me.

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Hey Guys,

LiveScore is the best hands down.
Nothing compares

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
LiveScore is the best hands down.
Nothing compares
I like it, but it can be better in some areas still. For example, the widget doesn't show much about some details of in-progress games for football or baseball, unlike various other sports app widgets.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
As of now? ESPN Sportcenter. Trying CBS's app though.

I've been trying cbs. I like it for now, at least until the score is updated. Or yahoo adds swipe gestures....so difficult to reach the back/menu button on the iPhone 6.

----------

I like it, but it can be better in some areas still. For example, the widget doesn't show much about some details of in-progress games for football or baseball, unlike various other sports app widgets.

Do you have a link? The livescore I'm seeing doesn't have a widget.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
CBS sports has nice, clean interface. Greatly prefer it over espn and most of the others but always on the lookout for anything better.

I wish there was a good ad-free (or option to buy ad-free) sports app.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Sportacular is the bomb, espn scorecenter crashes a lot.

iOS 8 seemed to break my sportacular or yahoo sports pro version. I really hope they update it to work. Loved not having ads.

----------

CBS sports has nice, clean interface. Greatly prefer it over espn and most of the others but always on the lookout for anything better.

I wish there was a good ad-free (or option to buy ad-free) sports app.

I agree 100%. I don't really understand why there is such a lack of premium ad free sport score apps. The last good one was sportacular and that is no longer offered.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

It's some kind of iOS 8 glitch. I designed an app earlier this year that is doing it on iOS 8. Not sure what the problem is. We ditched that developer because he's a moron, so we're currently getting bids on version 2. Based on my own experience, I'd say it's doing this because the developer is a moron.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I've switched back and forth between ESPN, Yahoo and The Score, and I've settled on the Yahoo Spiracular app because it has the least intrusive ads, nice app design and overall works pretty well. It still hasn't been update for iPhone 6/6Plus but none of them have. It does have a widget but it's a bit buggy on iOS 8.1 at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.