What SSD can work with iMac late 2013 to create Fusion Drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by EricDraven, Dec 10, 2013.

1. EricDraven macrumors newbie

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Its a big job to dissemble the iMac why wouldn't you just order one with a fusion drive already?

3. Jonez1 macrumors newbie

Hi

you need this,(see the link below) or, indeed, one that is suitable for late 2013 macbook pro retina or late 2013 iMac because it has been changed PCIe bus model. and the older machines, it is a different bus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/256GB-SSD-S...?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item25866e78c0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-768...?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item23332494e0

4. EricDraven thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help,
    How about SSD from Macbook Air (the link from my previous post)? I see SSDs from Macbook Air and Pro look similar. How can you know which SSD is for iMac late 2013, I really want to know, can you share me the information?

5. Bear macrumors G3

This. Plus it tends to void the warranty. And you aren't saving any money really by buying the SSD separately. (Until PCIe SSD drives come down in price.)

6. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

The MacBook Air SSD is longer and won't fit.

7. EricDraven thread starter macrumors newbie

How can you know that, do you make a teardown?
    Im talking about mid 2013 SSD with PCI Express based.

8. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Even if you do this, what's the process to get the new SSD and HDD to span in order to actually create the Fusion drive? I've seen the process to break it, but haven't found where you can create/repair it back to "stock".

9. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Sorry, the 2013 MacBook Air an rMBP now use the same modules. Can't find the part number for the 2013 iMac units though. You would think it would make sense to use the same parts but as it is apple it's never safe to assume anything.