What SSD drive to buy now for future Mac Book Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lloyd709, May 9, 2012.

1. lloyd709 macrumors 6502

I need to put a bigger SSD in my MBP right now but want it to be compatible with the next generation of MBPs. Anyone any ideas on whether I'm increasing my chances of compatibility buying an ultra thin 7mm (Crucial 512 M4) or should I go for the normal size one? Also, any thoughts on any other differences between the thin ones and the 'fat' ones - the thin ones are £20 cheaper which worries me a little!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I doubt it will matter. The upcoming MBPs will either go the way of the Air with the custom "stick" solid state storage or it'll fit the standard size SSDs commonly available.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Chances are Apple will either go the Air route and make them hard to be user replaceable or they will stay the same as they are now. I would just buy a normal SSD right now

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I would put my money on mSATA SSDs which will pretty much represent the new standard for the years to come.
    Check this out as the defacto standard. You can have a Curical M4 and others in the same size. There is also Toshiba's blade form factor which is a little thinner and longer. Used by Apple in the Air but usually only in notebooks with non replaceable SSDs. Not only used by Apple it is some sort of a standard.

You can forget anything in 2.5" regardless of thickness. 7mm will never be used for anything. Either 9.5mm 2 platter HDDs can fit the slot (and there will be a place to fit them in a Pro machine I think) or they will use smaller than 2.5" case less SSDs with mSATA conncetors.
    You can buy a 7mm now but the chances that a future MBP requires it are pretty much zero. Get a 9.5mm or go straight for mSATA. With the latter nobody knows for sure until release what form factor Apple will use until release. The long blade style ones aren't available in retail. Yet almost all notebook makers embraced the more rectangular smaller 3mm thick form factor. It can only fit in the optical bay of a current MBP because that has an mSATA connector which is why everybody needs the optibay which are mSATA to SATA adapters. In the HDBay you'd need an SATA to mSATA adapter. Those can be bought too but are expensive and I am not sure if they fit.