What SSD for my White Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MrGando, Apr 12, 2009.

1. MrGando macrumors member

Hi guys, I have a white macbook , its one with intel GMA950, and 3 GB ram ( tops at 3 gb )

I want to get an inexpensive SSD drive, I don't need that much space in the drive , I just need it to be fast, so I thought a 64 GB will fit my work easily.

The thing is, which model is the cheapest/safest for <= 200 USD.

If there are not safe options for those prices, maybe I should get a regular 7200 rpm Seagate.

2. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

Your options are pretty limited. In fact, in your price range there's only one drive worth considering. The 60GB OCZ Vertex for ~$200. Also, keep in mind you may need a PC to flash the firmware.

IMO, you'd be better off spending ~$175 more and getting the Intel 80GB drive. The OCZ Vertex and the Intel drives are pretty much the only drives worth considering at all right now.

3. MrGando thread starter macrumors member

Looks to me that it takes a big amount of work to keep a SSD up to date these days... :S :( , not what I was expecting.

The OCZ Vertex 60 looks to me like what I need though, but I don't want to be getting into forums all day to have my HD working :S , is it like that ?

4. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Another vote for the Vertex.
    I have one and it is great! :D

5. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I just installed it and did a CCC clone from my old HDD to the SSD and thats all.
    And it is working great since I got it (almost 4 weeks now).

6. MrGando thread starter macrumors member

REally ? because that would be awesome news for me.

You see, I am a software developer, I virtualize a lot too (no bootcamp, just VMware ), so my HD speed is like "the thing" that matters for me .

Did you add firmware or something ?

7. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Mine came with firmware 1199, right now they should ship with 1.10.
    I didn't change my firmware because 1199 is running without problems for me, so there is no real need for me to update the firmware.

You might not know, but OCZ just released a Vertex Mac Edition.
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/flash_drives/ocz_vertex_series_mac_edition_sata_ii_2_5-ssd

That should be the same like the "normal" Vertex, but those were approved by Apple "officially".

8. Jpoon macrumors 6502

OCZ Vertex, and you don't have to get the "official mac" version. They'll both do fine.

It's a noticeable difference :D.

9. emt1 macrumors 65816

Upgrading firmware is not really necessary with the Vertex.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have an OCZ Vertex. It's great, but there is a problem with sleeping/waking your Mac. 1 out of 10 or 20 times it will cause the Mac to hang and need a hard reboot about 10 minutes after the waking event. They are working on a fix.

Upgrading the firmware is quite necessary.

11. emt1 macrumors 65816

I have a Vertex. I do not have any problems. Firmware 1199.

12. JGO macrumors member

I too have a Vertex (250GB) in a 17" UMBP and I had no problems with sleep/waking or systems hangs and crashes. I have used both 1199 and now have 1.10 FW.

However, I have only been using the drive for about one week. Since these drives are so new there is no telling what the long term reliability will be.

13. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I would get the Vertex 120GB SSD. I have one in my Mabook Pro and it has been great so far:)

14. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I don't know if its worth paying for a SSD vs a traditional HD.
    Maybe in a year it'll be worth it.

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Which Mac do you have it installed in?

Do you know that if you have problems and are running FW 1199 OCZ will not support the drive? There's 1 serious bug in 1199 that results in random deletion of the partition. It was talked about at length on the OCZ boards when 1199 was the current firmware (last month or so).