What SSD/HD Configuration? opinions? Whats yours?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DesignFusion, Aug 29, 2010.

1. DesignFusion macrumors member

Whats your opinion on:

60gb SSD for OSX boot with the stock 1tb hd for home directory ie all my data. plus a seperate 500gb hd for windows (for gaming)

or

120gb SSD for all of mac OSX and home, and use the stock 1tb hd with a partition for windows and extra space for OSX documents (like 700gb for OSX 300gb for windows)

or just use the 1tb drive for osx and get a 500gb for windows. As SSDs are pricey :)

Am planing on order tonight so whatever I get will be delivered along side the mac pro. Oh and the SSD would be an OCZ vertex 2 (sandforce).

Thanks!!

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

120GB for OS X boot including home directory.
    1TB for OS X data.
    500GB dedicated for Windows only.

That's what I would do. No matter what setup you use, make sure that you've got a decent backup system.

3. strausd macrumors 68030

I have a 120GB OWC SSD and have my home folder on a Caviar Black, haven't had a single problem. I drag a lot of stuff to my desktop a lot and don't wana deal with all those writes to the SSD, thats the main reason I moved my home folder.

4. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Does anybody know how much taxes/customs/VAT/whatever go on top of OWC orders when they get shipped to the UK? Is there a percentage or does it depends on what it is / how much it costs? :confused: I wanted to go for some RAM and possibly an SSD, too.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

How much written data are you talking about?
    Do you have any information about the life expectancy of the OWC drives in terms of write access?

Intel for example gives an estimate of 5 years with daily writes of 20GB.
    Would be nice to see what other chips (Sandforce and Indilinx) can do.

6. DesignFusion thread starter macrumors member

Doesnt 120gb seem a little overkill if your home folder is on the HD? just curious as all my system and applications is only 40gb.

I have read a little on SSD lifespan but is this really something to worry about? Is it that much worse compared to a HD as i tend to re install my system every know and again to keep it fresh...

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

As per capacity, it depends on what you need. In your case, it seems that a 120GB is too big, so go for a smaller capacity model and save the funds. SSD's will continue to get cheaper, as well as address the cell lifespan (i.e. eMLC is rated to handle 30k writes instead of 10K or less, which is what other MLC based Flash is capable of; depends on the actual MLC being used, as there's 4 - 5k to 10k write cycle parts currently in the supply chain).

As per lifespan, it will depend on what you're doing with it. In the case of an OS/applications disk, such usage is primarily random access reads, which SSD's excel at, will last you a good long time (reads have no limits from the manufacturers, but they will fail at some point, as all electronics do).

But under high write conditions, such as scratch, they'll die much sooner.

Given primarily random access read use, the SSD should out-last a mechanical drive for you, and it's faster at it (significantly so, as the latency is no where near that of mechanical drives). :)

8. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Has nobody here (who's from the UK) ever ordered from OWC? :confused:

9. strausd macrumors 68030

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1001280&highlight=ssd+strausd#10

10. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Im not sure what your budget is.

But just a suggestion, maybe find two 60GB SSD's one for OSX and one for Windows gaming.

IDK, it depends on howmuch you want to keep on the boot volume, 60GB might be fine, but I generally wouldnt suggest moving the Home Folder/Directory off the main volume.
    Yes it can be done...i keep my SSD volume with the OS/Apps/Home folder in tact and put all the other libraries elsewhere.