What SSD in 2010 MacPro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JesterJJZ, Aug 9, 2010.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Anyone figure out what SSD they are using? is it 3.5?

2. strausd macrumors 68030

I'm gonna use an OWC SSD and put it in the empty optical bay.

3. xper macrumors 6502

xper

In what way does that answer his question?

4. BConvery macrumors regular

Well, he answered which SSD (Other World Computing) and which bay he's going to put it, therefore indicating the size bay its going to fit. How has he not answered the question?
    :rolleyes:

5. psychometry macrumors regular

It's all in how you interpret "they" in the original post. Pronouns are bad.

6. strausd macrumors 68030

And thats completely off topic from the OP. Good job :)

So does "they" refer to us the consumers or Apple?

7. xper macrumors 6502

xper

"They" is Apple, simple logic ;) Sorry for being a smug but "they" is to general for being anything else then Apple.

8. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Nobody? :D

9. highdefw macrumors 6502

I think the brand it intel, not 100% sure though...

10. jdong macrumors member

It's usually Samsung or Toshiba, lately the latter. The performance is adequate, but not as great as the best aftermarket SSDs you can buy. However, with that said, the big performance increase will be going from HDD to SSD, not from SSD to faster SSD.

11. highdefw macrumors 6502

With no TRIM support, it seems somewhat useless to have a ssd for the long term... unless Apple implemented a fix I don't know about...

12. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Get OCZ Vertex series, they have OSX Garbage Collection system, where it basically performs Trim.
    Ive been running their Vertex PC one for over half a year no problems, and the overall performance boost you get is worth the hassle of even wiping the drive once a year and restoring from backup (in case you start noticing sluggishness).

13. skiffx macrumors 6502a

How difficult is it to install it in the empty optical bay and do you need any mounting brackets or anything else?

14. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

If you check out the MacBook Pro forum, you will find that the new MBPs are shipping with Toshiba when ordering the 256/512GB SSD option. (2.5")

15. dissolve macrumors 6502a

If they are 2.5, is Apple supplying mounting brackets or are the HDD bays reconfigured? Has anyone heard either way?

EDIT: Just finished a chat with Apple...they are 3.5 in case anyone else was curious.

16. highdefw macrumors 6502

I've been looking at OWC. Both ssds seem to be matched...am I wrong?

17. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Looks like it.
    Except now OCZ has 180GBs drives both 2.5 and 3.5" which might be more suitable for dual booting systems, since 120 might be a little too tight and 240GBs is a little pricey.

18. hokpwah macrumors newbie

Hi - This is a great idea. Have you seen a tutorial about doing this?
    Getting closer to my SSD every day

19. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Don't need one, my 80Gb Intel is hanging from the wires in my MP2009, as you don't move the machine it doesn't matter that the light as air device just hangs there :p

20. strausd macrumors 68030

No tutorial specifically for an SSD in the empty optical bay. You don't even need anything extra. If you wanted to, you could look at how to add an optical drive to a 2009 MP and that should pretty much tell you how to do it. The cable that would plug into the second optical drive will plug right into the OWC SSD providing both power and data so you don't need to buy anything else. If you wanted to, you could get a mount but it is not necessary. I like to keep things nice and neat and decided to buy one, since I am already spending a lot on the Mac Pro, why not.

Edit: My OWC SSD and mount are supposed to arrive tomorrow :) too bad the actual system won't :(

21. nobias macrumors regular

Probably a Toshiba like all the MBPs and iMacs.
    Ordering JUST started yesterday so we will have to wait to see when someone gets their SSD system.

22. hokpwah macrumors newbie

Oh way to easy, nothing holding me back now. It handles power and data. wondered about that. Thanks guys.
    HP