what ssd is a better buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mohawkapple, Feb 11, 2015.

1. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You get more drive for the money with Crucial and it is $5.00 cheaper, not to mention it is a drive with a good reputation. Easy decision.

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

^What he said^

Crucial has more storage for less price and is a trusted brand. I've heard kingston ones aren't very good

3. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

You get slightly more space with the crucial and I've heard good things about Crucial. I've actually heard some negatives about Kingston, but that was a while ago.

---
    You didn't post this, but I love the Samsung 840 series.

4. mohawkapple thread starter macrumors member

mohawkapple

Thanks for the reply's, Its these two that they had in stock at my nearest pc shop!

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I would go for Crucial MX100 or Samsung 850 Pro (NOT 850 EVO). They both uses MLC rather than TLC which has longer life. I believe Samsung 850 Pro has 10 years warranty, EVO has 3 or 5 years warranty, MX100 has 3 years warranty. Crucial supports OSX firmware updates while Samsung requires Windows. Go for 850 Pro if money isn't an issue and you have Windows PC.

7. dsburdette macrumors member

8. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I was just ready to post the same link. From all the research I have done, the Samsung 850 EVO is supposed to be a very good drive...

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is a good deal. Samsung is getting aggressive with their pricing to be sure.

OP> Here is your drive right here. Either the 850 EVO or MX100 are a close call as far as performance and all, so I would just get whichever is cheapest and that looks like the EVO for now.

I would stay away from the Kingston you mentioned since it uses a Sandforce controller and those do not have good incompressible data speeds if you ever want to use FileVault encryption on your MacBook.

10. technosix macrumors 6502a

I have that same Samsung EVO in an older MBP and it's been excellent, fast and reliable.

11. georgage123 macrumors newbie

I have seen great performance with all types of data. I read this article that says the sandforce compression works across the whole drive, not just individual files. http://blog.seagate.com/intelligent...-technology-delivers-upsides-ssd-performance/

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Crucial. Kingston has a poor rep and no need to take that risk.

13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

What year and model of MacBook will this drive go into?

I would avoid Kingston based on quality complaints, but...

... the Crucial drive seems over-priced for the size.

Shop around.
    Buy online.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The OP noted that this was the choice of what was in stock in the local PC shop, of course they will get a better price online and I have to assume that anyone savvy enough to post on here knows this and is making a conscious choice to buy locally. In which case the crucial is the one to go for.

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Crucial. No firmware problems. No throughput issues. Quality costs it seems. OP also stated that was the choice he had.