what SSD on MacBookPro4,1?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mariux.mac, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Mariux.mac macrumors member

Hello everyone, can any one recommend good SSD for my MacBookPro4,1? It has SATA 1.5GB so i don't need SSD whit super high performance like SATA3. Im only going to use this SSD on that mac, but i want to get most performance out of my mac, especially in photoshop, when working whit pictures it starts using Swapfiles and that really slow down the system.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

First off, I'd increase your RAM to 6GB (4GB+2GB) if you haven't done so already.

As for SSDs, a good choice would be the Intel 320.

3. Mariux.mac thread starter macrumors member

I wass thinking about ram upgrade to 6gb but will Dual Channeling work? offcourse if it's working now :)
    About Intel 320 im looking at it but also loked at others OCZ vertex 3 and Crucial M4 almost same price point. But maybe Intel 320 hass constant write/read speed to reach max 1.5gb? im still googling...

4. simsaladimbamba

No, it will not work. But is the 10% performance gain you gain with dual channel worth the fewer RAM?

And why not get an S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSD? One day, you will probably retire your MBP and get a new one, and you can take the SSD with you.
    I put a Vertex 3 into my 2009 MBP, which "only" has an S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) interface, but I can use it in a new Mac once I get it.

5. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

They're not the highest performance drive out there but the difference vs a regular hard drive is still astounding.

And the 320 is a rock solid drive.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Dual channel will still work. Intel has something what I like to call hybrid dual channel (no idea what the actual name for the feature is).

The idea is very simple; for reach pair of RAM modules…
    1) If the two modules match then dual channel is enabled for all the RAM.
    2) If the two modules do not match, dual channel is enabled up to the maximum of the smaller memory module.

In the case of 4GB+2GB, we would be looking at #2, where 2GB of the 4GB chip would operate in dual channel mode with the other 2GB module, and the remaining 2GB on the 4GB module would operate in single channel mode.

That said, even if you're stuck with single channel for everything, the benefit of having more RAM for your work heavily outweighs dual channel bandwidth.

You only have a connection interface that maxes out at 1.5Gbps; the Intel 320 is a solid performer, with an excellent warranty, and definitely fulfills your performance needs.

Sure it may not be as fast as new drives like the Vertex 3, but you can't utilize the performance benefits of a faster drive.

If you wish, you can of course purchase a faster drive, but some controllers like the Sandforce one in the Vertex 3 have compatibility issues with slower interfaces.