What SSD should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ct2k7, Sep 6, 2011.

1. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Hi all,

I'm probably going to be buying my first MBP soon, and if it's before any refresh, it'll be the MC721B/A, the 15" lower end model. In terms of configuration, I'd have the display set to the higher resolution but glossy. I seem to like the glossy rather than anti-glare, it makes dark pictures look better IMO. Anyway after purchasing, I would then upgrade RAM to 8GB, then eventually to 16GB RAM (On my Windows desktop, I can have up to 4 virtual machines running with 2 IDEs at any time). Obviously, this isn't going to replace it, but I do expect to do some work whilst I am mobile.

I have decided that I would like to have an SSD with my MBP, and would like to know if you recommend and standard Apple SSD, or a Crucial RealSSD M4, or Intel etc. I'd probably only need about 128-256GB here, nothing compared to my 512GB SSD in RAID on my desktop.

Anyway, thanks :)

2. rainking macrumors regular

Search man. This topic has been beat to death. But the consensus seems to be the Samsung 470.

3. ct2k7 thread starter macrumors 603

ct2k7

I've had two of these fail on me in the same system whilst in RAID.

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

5. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

I have done alot of searching and reading on this and i just went with the one from apple. I got the student discount so it was only like 180 more i think i cant really remember but this is how i thought of it. Ssd are dropping slowly in prices. If i get the one from apple i dont have to worry about putting in a brand that may have problems. When prices drop and ssd are more stable in brands then ill buy and upgrade. Ive seen alot of post that say new ssd and have problems but only a few i think say they are from apple factory. They maybe slower than other but seem to be more stable. I dont have my mbp yet and when i get it ill post about it and if it was worth it.