What stops us from buying AppleCare AFTER our device is damaged?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CJayC, Jun 9, 2010.

1. CJayC macrumors 6502

I'm legitimately asking because I'm not sure how AppleCare works but my main question is: Is there any problem with buying AppleCare AFTER your device is broken/damaged/hardware failure? I was always under the impression that insurance had to be bought with or before we buy whatever we want to insure.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) AppleCare is not insurance: it only covered manufacturing defects not user inflicted damage: drops, spills etc are not covered.

2) You have 1 year to buy AppleCare to extend your warantee. As your device is covered for manufacturing faults for the 1st year anyway your questions does not really make sense.

3. Tino04 macrumors member

Applecare can be bought anytime within the original warranty period (i.e - one year)

However, as Apple doesn't warranty against Accidental Damage / Misuse etc why would you wait till the device breaks to get Applecare - as if there was a genuine fault, it would be repaired anyway

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Read the AppleCare policy, apple posts it on their website.

If you want insurance, you'll need to look to your credit cards and see if they offer anything or buy a policy.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well for all but one of your options, its a moot point. AppleCare only covers manufacturer defects. There is nothing stopping you from buying it but it makes little sense.

You buy an iPhone, 6 months later the screen goes. Do you now buy applecare? Well apple does offer a warranty so the repair will be covered. You may want to buy then because given the intial failure but it won't help you on getting the phone repaired initially in my example because its already covered.

6. CJayC thread starter macrumors 6502

Confirm or Deny:

AppleCare is exactly the same as the original warranty except that it adds another year.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Plus the ability to call tech support. W/ the original warranty you only get 90 days support. Personally that isn't a big deal b/c I can either figure it out myself or w/ info online.

Also keep in mind many CCs offer free warranty extension (typically they double the manufacturer's warranty). They also have damage/loss/stolen protection for 90 days.

If you want damage protection then look at Square Trade.

8. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Correct, and it extends apples phone support to two years from the original 90 days as well.

9. leehal macrumors member

Things in the UK are confusing when you consider the Sale Of Goods Act, people have argued using the fit for purpose element e.g. if your goods are faulty after 15 months (3 months after the 12 month guarantee expires) they aren't fit for purpose as you would expect an iPhone to last on average say 2 years.

The periods are examples, this argument has been used on numerous legal challenges for faulty goods, however, not to my knowledge for the iPhone (yet!).