Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cbdboz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Hi, I am debating whether to go for fusion or pure SSD on an iMac...and possibly a mini (if use as a server)

My guess is that I would look to get some form of external storage solution...and I have read many posts that will quote Thunderbays, Raid this and that ;), NAS or DAS.

However, I got to thinking that if I will be using external storage...why would I need anything greater than Pure SSD and poss the min 256g in the mac to cover OS and applications, as presumably all other storage would be external? Is this the case...because if so, I am not sure why a Fusion would make any sense at all?

A bit of background; I want to be able to edit photos and videos...but more as a hobby than anything hardcore, and like digitalising movie collection ...other than that would be streaming content, web browsing, MS office suite etc etc. household will also include 2 iMac's, 2macbooks, 2 iPads, and 2 ATV3.

Some have said no need to get a NAS, as if I get a Mac mini this will act as a better NAS with the OS X server software.....in which case I just need to get a DAS ...or maybe even just a bunch of portable hard drives connected to both Mac mini and iMac.

Evidently, I am nowhere near as technical as the majority on the forum, just like a plug and play solution as much as possible, and need storage, backup, security and both internal and external access sometimes over internet.

...anyone want to give me some tips as to what I should be spending my money on...keen to buy, install and then sit back and relax......and then also make a decision on the SSD or Fusion drive for my new iMac :D

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If I were getting an iMac or Mini, I would get a 512GB SSD for fast boot/OS/caches/apps and the small amount of data for email..etc. Would also get the machine with 16GB of memory or plan to upgrade it from 8 to 16 ASAP.

Then I would have a main external Thunderbolt drive that is my library for documents, photos, music, videos...etc. As an option you could have a RAID pair instead of a single data library drive. RAID 0 (striped) if you want max speed, RAID 1 (mirrored) if you want higher data availability.

And most important of all.......an external backup drive for Time Machine. I use a 6TB drive for my TM backups. TM will use the drive to backup both the internal SSD and the external library drive.

pietrov

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
In my opinion fusion drive is a double point of failure.
The MTBF of the fusion SSD side is really high but you have to consider that.
If the disk part breaks you won't be able to get out data from the SSD part too...
I'd buy the biggest SSD possible... ;)

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
I agree. All SSD is the way to go. I also think that 256GB is plenty. That allows for the OS and a whole bunch of Applications. If space ever were to get tight, you could map some of your home directory folders (Music, Photos, etc.) to the external drive. Just always, always, always back up the data ;)

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I went with small SSD (128 on one machine, 256 on another) internally and large RAID externally. I have never come close to hitting 50% disk utilization on either SSD, so no regrets. It is always good to have memory, so I have 8 and 16 GB respectively. I am pleased that the computers have essentially no moving parts except for fans.

A.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Learned to adjust with a small SSD only system over a year ago. It's so much better. Externals are cheap and flexible.

Agree with MCAsan. 512 is a sweet size but 256 is plenty of space.

Cbdboz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Looks like SSD it is then.....just don't see the point of fusion if you have an external storage system. Now just a case of "what" external storage system to buy........Drobo, thunder bay etc.....

Choices, choices....

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Now just a case of "what" external storage system to buy........Drobo, thunder bay etc.....

I read the reviews and complaints, and decided on an Areca Thunderbolt RAID array. It was plug-and-play on my machine (drivers are already in OS X) and it has met or exceeded my expectations. Not cheap though. I back up with an old Drobo which is too slow for regular use.

A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.