What storage capacities do you hope for on 2nd gen iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EssentialParado, Oct 22, 2010.

?

What iPad models of gen 2 do you want to buy?

1. 32GB

23 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. 64GB

24 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. 128GB

30 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. 256GB

17 vote(s)
    17.7%
  5. I'm going to buy the cheapest model either way

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. I'm not going to buy the 2nd gen of the iPad

20 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

How much flash storage are you hoping for on the gen 2 of iPad?

Now that we know the MacBook Air goes up to 256GB of flash, I think there's the possibility of 128GB next gen, and maybe even 256GB, although I think it's unlikely but I'm including it as an option anyway to gauge demand.

When making your choices of what you'd like to see, keep in mind flash storage is extremely expensive. In the MBA, an additional 64GB is $200, 128GB is $300. So I think we can roughly predict the following prices if Apple were to go up to a 256GB model:

- 32GB iPad: $499 (probably become baseline model)
    - 64GB iPad: $599
    - 128GB iPad: $799
    - 256GB iPad: $999 to $1199

I'm not saying Apple will do all these models, or at these prices. But what models would you be most likely to buy? Is the iPad a laptop replacement where you need as much storage as possible at any price, or is it an add-on to your existing computer and so you only need a minimum of storage?

Oh, and these are WiFi predicted pricing. 3G models would be more expensive.

2. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

3. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

Hehe. Also the thickness of a semi. :p

4. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I'm betting they won't change the capacity at all. They didn't with the touch, and with the new low-end MBA starting at 64gb, they'll want a clear line between the Ipad and MBA. Capacity will be it. Can you imagine the articles talking about the low price of the 128gb Ipad compared to the 64gb MBA? If anything, they'll eliminate the 16gb and just have the 32 and 64 models, but nothing higher.

My guess is the Ipad will get the camera(s) everyone is whining about (but will likely hardly use, especially the back one,) 512mb ram, and *may* be thinner/lighter (more like the Iphone in design.)

5. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure with added camera and memory being thinner. I do agree about the Camera, of little use. I wouldn't use one. Which is why I chose the last option, not getting iPad 2.

6. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

While I probably won't be getting the iPad 2 if the only upgrades are a camera and more storage, I opted for at least 128GB. That would be sufficient to store some movies and TV shows that I would watch without have to sync for a while. As well as keep several higher capacity apps such as games on it at the same time.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

32gb would be fine for me. I'm being a little too restrictive in what I load on to my 16gb for fear of filling it up. I would also like to see some better file access via the camera connection kit but I don't see that happening, unfortunately.

8. fherjohn macrumors newbie

I plan on getting the cheapest one as well since it will most likely have the high retina display like the iPhone 4. That would look amazing on the iPad screen.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Based on the Price and Max Storage you find on the "new" recently released MacBook Air (and considering that SSD MacBooks and Macbooks Pro are on the pipeline) I don't see the iPad getting anything more than 64GB for the next Generation. Same goes for the iPhone.

To be fair and answer the OP question, I do hope for a 120GB version, but IMO that is nothing more than a fools hope, I don't see it happening (at least not for this second gen batch)

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I'm not planning on a new iPad unless the new one has more ram, a better CPU, better screen, more storage, better battery, camera, gyro, G3/G4, wimax.

I would buy either 64GB or 128GB. This all really depends on iOS functionality.
    If the iPad gets Apps that make it necessary and worth it to upgrade I will.

Apple has to do a lot. Integration of Apps with programs on Macs and PC's, a Airport Set Up app, more productivity overall, Keychain access and such. A iPhoto that is actually useful.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Where do I choose "32Gb + SDHC slot"? That would be my preference ( f there was a chance this side of the Lethe).

12. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

I think what you guys are saying would make a lot of sense if the iPad 2 were to release today, but I think it's most realistic we'll see it in April-May time, as with the original, at which point the MacBook Air will be over half a year old, and flash storage will be cheaper.

As for keeping the MacBook Air a separate product line from the iPad - surely it already is? Apple don't need to unnaturally limit the storage on the iPad to keep it from cannibalizing the MacBook Air, because one's a tablet and one's a notebook computer. I could point out the iPod classic having more storage capacity than the 128GB MacBook Air, but that doesn't mean it's gonna cannibalize MacBook Air sales. Finally, you really believe Apple wouldn't upgrade one product to outclass a higher end product? They do that all the time; most recent and obvious example being the 512MB RAM in the iPhone compared to 256MB in the iPad. Apple have different release cycles for different products, which inevitably results in lower-end products occasionally outclassing one or two features on a technically 'higher-end' product.

13. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Storage always makes me laugh.

My first computer had 4K of RAM, (and cassette tape "mass" storage).

A few years later, I upgraded, and got one with 16K and a 156K 5 1/2" floppy. No, no not Megabyte, Kilobyte.

Even today I have to catch myself when I accidentally say I want a 2 GB external firewire drive. Erm, 2 Terabyte I mean...

In 20 years some of you will be doing the same with your Petabytes and Exobytes I'm sure.

I'd like to see a huge amount of cloud storage in one of Apple's data centers associated with the purchase of an iPad or Mac. The data could be shared among your many devices. You could pick and chose some data to "live" on the device, and the rest of your device storage would be used to cache cloud data.

Ubuntu does a little of this with Ubuntu One. Apple does it a little with iWork.com and MobleMe iDisk. I think Apple should punch forward and work cloud storage into its core products. Especially given the mobile nature of Apple's devices. (Phones, tablets, notebooks)

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Your logic make sense, but you have to consider that the iPad2 design is Ready NOW,,,and the sourcing for it will start Real real soon (some of the part have already been order, like the screen and that is source of most of the rumors). Even when the iPad2 will be release on May-Apr, it is a current design (it will be about half a year old at release). iPod use Micro Hardrive for a long time. Also the Holiday sales will impact the sourcing and manufacturing.

Also as i siad, macbook revision are coming real soon, Jobs said it, this is the future of laptops, the push for SSD will be hard from Apple side.

15. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

how do you 'spose we cram 128 or even 250GB of storage into it?

16. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

As much as what you're saying makes sense, Apple also makes pretty incremental steps the second year a product is out, then a fairly major change the year after that. I really don't expect anything major in the Ipad to change. I would not be surprised to see it get a physical makeover just like the Iphone did between gen 1 and 2, and for that to hold over for a couple years, but the internals to remain almost identical in this next iteration. The 16gb model is really the only one that gets questionable comments. I would be very surprised if Apple ups the capacity this soon. I can easily see them saving that for 2012.

17. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

Sure, you're most likely right. But then you've also gotta concede that every Apple product has its design finalized 6 months before launch, in which case the MacBook Air storage capacities and part orders were from six months ago. You've gotta look at things from a relative view.

It's "soon" today, but it won't be "this soon" another six months from now. It's also worth remembering that the iPad was already quite under-spec'd on its storage at launch - The iPod touch has offered 64GB for a few years and is due a 128GB version soon, and it's very surprising that the iPad offers no higher capacity versions than the iPod touch lines do. I'd be incredibly surprised if there wasn't at least a 128GB option for the 2nd gen iPad. I'm willing to pay for it, I see no reason for Apple not to do it.

Also, while I agree that Apple often make only incremental updates for second generation products, storage capacities are a separate factor from that and most often do get an upgrade on every generation - look at any iPod timeline for proof of that.

18. SR2 macrumors regular

The next ipad and iphone for that matter will almost certainly have a dual core CPU.It's going to need it when you see what the competition has in store in 2011.

19. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

20. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Flash capacity usually doubles every 2 years:

iPhone/iPod touch G1 8/16 GB (double available for iPod)
    iPhone/iPod touch G2 8/16 GB (double available for iPod)
    iPhone/iPod touch G3 16/32 GB (double available for iPod)
    iPhone/iPod touch G4 16/32 GB (double available for iPod)

I would say 2011 is when we'll see a further increase with the iPhone moving to 32/64 GB, the iPod touch moving to 32/64/128 GB and probably a doubling of the iPad storage too.

Of course, the unknown is what Apple have done with the "bottom end" model which seems to have retained the low end storage option (8 GB for old iPhone/bottom end iPod touch).

21. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

That's what I'm speculating as well. Apple would never overlap the just released MacBook Air with a higher-capacity iPad. I predict the current storage options to be 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB. As for the rest of the iPad 2, I'm speculating an improved display (not retina! (at least not this soon), a front-facing 1.3MP camera (I couldn't really see Apple adding a back camera - just pull out your iPhone if you really need a quick shot (it would be really awkward to take a picture as well), 512MB RAM, and a slightly improved design as well as a possible Verizon version. Just my $0.02. :cool:

22. Pinger macrumors regular

I totally agree...

23. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Kick the 16gb out. Make the lineup 32, 64, 128

24. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

I was thinking the same thing until I was schooled by people on this forum. A retina display at that size would cost a small fortune. So expect the same resolution for a while.

A 128 GB iPad would be sweet. Hold my entire music collection and about 30 GB left over for apps and movies to watch on the plane.