What (stress) testing should I run on my nMP when it arrives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cubemmal, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

Please provide links to any good stress tests I should run on my nMP when it arrives. I'd like to run some for a day or two continuously to verify that the computer can handle this, and doesn't, for example, develop the high pitched sound out of the speaker that Anand saw.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How about just run the standard apps you use under the typical load and see what happens.

3. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm a software engineer, I don't run any apps that will stress the computer overnight.

4. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

The only one I know is Geekbench stress test (paid version).

5. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

The price is OK, but looking at the benchmarks it doesn't seem like it stresses the GPU's. These appear to be all CPU benchmarks.

6. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

SPECwpc is designed to benchmark workstations. None of this Geekbench stuff.

7. wheelhot macrumors 68020

I don't know why but no one seems to reply when I ask them to run SPECviewperf® 12 or SPECviewperf® 11 test on their new Mac Pro.

Download links
    SPECviewperf® 12
    SPECviewperf® 11

From what I read, apparently no.12 is updated to benchmark AMD FirePros better then no.11, but no.12 is new, so in terms of database, there's more data on no.11 but I guess it wont be a fair comparison as it's not optimized for AMD FirePros??

For those wondering what is SPECviewperf and why I kept asking it to be tested on the nMP.

8. riggles macrumors 6502

So, you want to stress test your nMP for two days in preparation to use apps that won't even put it under load overnight? Umm, ok, hahaha. I know my post is not at all helpful and I'm not implying anything negative, really. I just honestly got a good chuckle out of this.

Edit: I hope I didn't cause offense. It's just funny seeing where our heads go while people anticipate the arrival of their computers. I'd probably be doing the same things as you~

9. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Oops, it appears SPEC is for windows only. I was wanting to try it out when I had time.

10. VoR macrumors 6502a

I'd run prime95 and cgminer 3.7.2 (or earlier) at the same time.
    I'd also prepare to be disappointed :)

11. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

One reason to do this would be to get the kinks out early. If there is some design flaw in your particular machine, a through and prolonged stress test as soon as it arrives might find it. Which would be better, in some peoples eyes anyway, than just going about your normal business for 6 months or so, only to have your machine crap out at an inconvenient time. Basically, downtime at some random point in the relatively distant future when you’re counting on your machine to work is more costly than the first few days before you’ve really started using it.

I don’t know if modern computers from vendors like Apple, which presumably are very constantly reliable, really require this, but that’s how I see it anyway.

12. riggles macrumors 6502

Do computers really work like this? 6 months of moderate use can be simulated by 2 days of extreme use? I don't know the answer.

13. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

I doubt it in its entirety, but it might at least help?

14. VoR macrumors 6502a

It'll quickly show you if you've got a dud. If you're buying a bargain basement desktop off ebay or an expensive workstation from a top vendor, it should be able to run flat out.
    The psu and cooling on the nMP does make me raise an eyebrow though, I'll be interested in hearing the results.

15. riggles macrumors 6502

Ok, I can buy that.

16. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

17. QuakeProd macrumors member

QuakeProd

cant think of anything thats super heavy, but two apps come to mind:

Handbrake and Screenflow.

they are pretty heavy

18. wheelhot macrumors 68020

When will you be receiving your machine? I'm desperately looking for anyone to run a specviewperf test. :(