what super drives are the best for the mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by j2048b, Aug 31, 2009.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I currently have a pioneer 112 and wanted to ask what drive is a good replacement, if any?

I want something that reads and rips alot faster!!

i have updated and flshed this current drive and it does not seem to be any diffeent in the way of ripping both cd's and dvd's (my own of course... of course!!)

so any suggestions?

I also have not ventured to do anything with the odd sata ports due to lack of knowledge and not being confident that i would not mess something up.

(I would love to add my blu-ray reader for the windows side, but if i do will mac's still be able to at least rip dvd's and the such from it?)

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Get an LG Blu-Ray ROM or Burner. They are the best.

3. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

in my pc i currently have an lg blu ray reader but it is sata and i have not really dived into figureing out how to turn the odd sata ports on, plus will the mac read the blu ray player/reader due to the odd sata ports?

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I would fit the LG with a SATA -> IDE converter. That way you are flexible to use it for OD booting in standard IDE mode but if Apple support Blu-Ray one day you can switch to SATA.

My 2006 MP doesn't want to boot ODs from SATA. A real pain in the butt. I suspect it will be the same for your 2008 model, but only a test would proove it. I ended up with the old Sony Superdrive for OD boot and the LG SATA BD ROM for Blu-Ray playback. It pisses me off that I loose the 2nd optical bay to no purpose because the blimming EFI will not boot from SATA.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Stay away from Sony NEC Optiarc. I had one that died in less than 1.5 years of light use.

6. bigbird macrumors 6502

Optical drive

I added a Pioneer 115D as a second optical drive. Both the 112D and 115D work equally well, are reliable, and cheap to buy.

7. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

OD's = optical drives i take it?

so can the mac use the blu ray to read any discs and burn normal dvd's? or is it only used under a windows boot?

what sata to ide converter did you get? I have one but it looks kind of thick and may take up too much room?

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

OD is short for optical disk
    ODD is short for optical disk drive

Yes, the MP1,1 can do all things except SATA booting OD from the LG drive. Blu-Ray playback is Windows only and requirers SATA. So that is the catch.

My adapter isn't branded but you have plenty of space in the bay like three times what my adapter has in thickness.

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I tested booting from a SATA optical drive in my 2008 Mac Pro. It booted the Snow Leopard install disc fine.