What T-Mobile Plan do I want?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by apattee, Oct 2, 2008.

1. apattee macrumors regular

I plan on buying the iPhone 3G, and I have a few questions.

1. Will unlocking the phone allow me to still use the Internet with T-Mobile? Is this easy to do?

2. What plan do people recommend? I would like a plan with data obviously. I'm confused looking at T-Mobiles site.

Thanks for any help.

2. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

1. Yes, you might have to reapply the voicestream address, but that is easy.

2. If you don't mind not going on youtube or something, I'd recommend getting the $5.99 T-zones internet plan. Its a proxy server so for most sites it works fine. It is an add on to any other plan and is what most people use.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I have the $29.99/mo plan with unlimited text ($14.99) and t-zones ($5.99) added.

4. Inukami macrumors 6502

Well you can use a smart sim to hardware unlock it. Not sure if you have to jailbreak the iphone to get the t-zone hack or w/e it is to get the data plan working. I'm not sure if its possible but best plan would be prepaid + monthly data $5.99.

5. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Since T-Mobile has very little 3G in the states and since the iPhone 3G is not frequency compatible with T-mobile's network, why would you buy a 3G and not a 2G?

Also, how do you intend to unlock it? The only method I know of is (can't remember the name) the one where the SIM is over-ridden electronically. I believe that costs at least $100. There is not currently any software unlock and Dev Team indicates that they do not even know if it is possible.

EDIT: The whole kit costs 30 Pounds Sterling (About $55)-but you can piece meal it cheaper-still it seems like a mickey mouse method IMHO.

6. Inukami macrumors 6502

It doesn't cost $100+, it costs around $13-20. Also 2G or 3G phone it doesn't make a dif, the price that people sell them on ebay or buying from store and canceling contract in USA comes out to be the same. Reason for going to t-mobile over att's 3G is because coverage sucks in the USA and honestly at this point 2G is better.

7. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

If 2G coverage is better, (which it is) then T-Mobile makes no sense either. I am a LONG TIME former T-Mobile (and Voicestream before that) Customer. I loved them-unless you get farther than 5 miles off a freeway. I had to leave T-Mobile when I moved literally less than 1 mile (line of sight) from my old house. T-Mobile would not work at the new place.

Actually that has changed, but AT&T's 2G coverage is topped only by Verizon's CDMA. If 2G is all you are after-get a 2G phone and use AT&T. The 2G coverage is FAR MORE COMPLETE than T-Mobile's.