Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
With the iPad 3 reportedly not supporting iOS 10, it sounds like I might be due for a hardware upgrade.

Thing is, I rarely use the iPad (mainly to watch video), and even more rarely take it out of the house. So I don't really want to spend a ton of money on a replacement (and I wouldn't use a stylus). I like the 9.7" form factor. My priorities are basically:

1) Don't spend a ridiculous amount
2) Not be constantly fighting for enough storage space like I currently am at 16GB
3) Not have to replace it unreasonably soon
4) Be able to web surf a bit without Safari crashing because webpages are too big/javascripty for it to handle any more
5) Ideally weigh about half as much as the iPad 3

Should I:

a) Buy a new model?
b) Buy a refurb older-model?
c) Wait till the new models are announced/released and then buy a new/refurb iPad?
d) Buy a cheap-ass Android tablet?
e) Wait until Netflix and iTunes stop working on iOS 9?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Assuming you can still stand using your iPad 3, my vote is for c) Wait till new models are announced/released and then buy a new/refurb iPad.

Mind, I commend you for still tolerating the iPad 3. I personally couldn't stand using it regularly on anything higher than iOS 6.

As for Netflix and iTunes not working on iOS 9, it may not get updated anymore but Netflix still works just fine on iOS 6. Honestly, I think last time I checked (a year or two ago), even Netflix for iOS 3 (original iPhone) is still working (YouTube wasn't). I reckon issues #2 and #4 are gonna frustrate you long before Netflix stops support for iOS 9.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
I'd go for a 32gb iPad Air 2. It's a decent price for $399, but I'd wait and keep an eye out for retailers to drop the price as they've done in the past with iPads.

Reactions: sracer

pmwybo

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
i've got the same issue and i'm thinking the Air, as the iPad3 definitely doesn't upgrade to iOS 10

craig1024

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
If you can get a refurbished air 2 it would be perfect, the only real advantage to the iPad pro is the keyboard and apple pencil. They are about the same speed and have the same amount of ram and screen resolution, however the iPad pro has better speakers which may be good for movies if you don't use headphones, I have an air 2 and it is very fast, I recommend it.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
I'm in the same boat. I have an iPad 3 aswell that I want to upgrade, still on 7.1.2. I had to buy an Air 2 64 gb for my son because school required it. So now I'm on his Air 2 in the evening (he has a mini 2 for private use). The Air 2 is on 9.3.5. and it is plenty fast. I would surely be happy with it but now that spring is so close, I'm going to hold off and see what Apple brings to the table. I have no need for the pencil, but if there's an updated pro 9.7, or better still an Air 3 with more ram than the Air 2 has, then I will buy that. If not, I'm going for an Air 2, preferably a cheap 16 gb (I only use it for browsing and watching tv), if I can still find it.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I have a 9.7" Pro with 256GB. I don't really use the pencil much at all, but I appreciate the fact that it's available for when I would need it. The 256GB of space makes for a very comfortable user experience, I rarely even have to think about managing space onboard, the fast cellular connection means I can go anywhere and not have to worry about not being connected, the thing is truly a beast of a powerhouse and it has mostly replaced my mac for day to day usage.

What I would say is just get the 9.7" Pro with max storage and be done with it. It's only $929 for cellular maxed out, which I don't consider to be an insane amount of money for something I am literally glued to every day.

Reactions: rui no onna

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I have a 9.7" Pro with 256GB. I don't really use the pencil much at all, but I appreciate the fact that it's available for when I would need it. The 256GB of space makes for a very comfortable user experience, I rarely even have to think about managing space onboard, the fast cellular connection means I can go anywhere and not have to worry about not being connected, the thing is truly a beast of a powerhouse and it has mostly replaced my mac for day to day usage.

What I would say is just get the 9.7" Pro with max storage and be done with it. It's only $929 for cellular maxed out, which I don't consider to be an insane amount of money for something I am literally glued to every day.

What I would say is just get the 9.7" Pro with max storage and be done with it. It's only $929

Lol really?

Reactions: 4004786

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Air 2, immediate upgrade. I have a similar usage pattern to yourself and was on an iPad3 until just this spring. Once the 9.7 Pro was announced, I immediately got the Air2 on refurb. Refurb deals aren't always the best deal. There have been numerous deals posted from BestBuy or other vendors that have new Air2's below refurb prices and can be stacked with other discounts.

Summary: Decide on an air2 model, set an acceptable pricepoint, go shopping/wait.

Reactions: Mr_Killjoy

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
I have the 12.9 iPad. I love it, but 1.5 pounds doesn't sound like much until it slips out of your hand and lands on the snozz. I would agree with others here, either a reconditioned iPad Air 3 I think, or the iPad Pro 9.7. Talk about fast, smooth, and the screen is awesome.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have the 12.9 iPad. I love it, but 1.5 pounds doesn't sound like much until it slips out of your hand and lands on the snozz.

At least with a 12.9" device you kind of expect some heft. You'd think a small 9.7" device wouldn't be that bad. I remember browsing with my iPad 3 and dropped it on my face and corner got me right on nose. That thing hurt and was a tank.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
At least with a 12.9" device you kind of expect some heft. You'd think a small 9.7" device wouldn't bee that bad. I remember browsing with my iPad 3 and dropped it on my face and corner got me right on nose. That thing hurt and was tank.
Lol, this is the reason why I never have my iPads sitting on my chest anymore whenever I read in bed. Funnily enough, I've had a bunch of tech slabs (smartphones, tablets, e-ink readers) fall on my face so I've actually been able to figure my limit for threshold of pain: 150g. :p

Reactions: Traverse

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
With the iPad 3 reportedly not supporting iOS 10, it sounds like I might be due for a hardware upgrade.

Thing is, I rarely use the iPad (mainly to watch video), and even more rarely take it out of the house. So I don't really want to spend a ton of money on a replacement (and I wouldn't use a stylus). I like the 9.7" form factor. My priorities are basically:

1) Don't spend a ridiculous amount
2) Not be constantly fighting for enough storage space like I currently am at 16GB
3) Not have to replace it unreasonably soon
4) Be able to web surf a bit without Safari crashing because webpages are too big/javascripty for it to handle any more
5) Ideally weigh about half as much as the iPad 3

Should I:

a) Buy a new model?
b) Buy a refurb older-model?
c) Wait till the new models are announced/released and then buy a new/refurb iPad?
d) Buy a cheap-ass Android tablet?
e) Wait until Netflix and iTunes stop working on iOS 9?

Get a refurb iPad Pro 9.7". The speakers make media sound much better and more pleasurable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.