What technologies do you use to streamline your life?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bostonaholic, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

Just got my MBP a few months ago and an iPhone 3GS a few before that. I'm trying to come up with ways to utilize these to streamline my life. What are some of the best ways I can use both of these to their highest potential? I'd really like to have my google calendar at my fingertips on my iPhone but I haven't found even a decent "app for that". Any help?

Here's a list of technologies I use to make my life easer.

Time Management
    Calendar: Google Calendar

Finances
    Budgeting: Mint.com
    Online bill pay: MyCheckFree.com

Miscellaneous
    Dropbox - I use this to store files I may want instant access to while at work and home. i.e. bills spreadsheet, notes to myself, etc.
    Google Reader - I use this to consolidate all my blogs into one place.

What about you?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

People that buy technology and then look for ways to use it have it backwards. I've been of the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality for a long time.

3. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

You know, I have been through a lot of different applications and devices over the years.

Used to use a Handspring Visor and an HP iPac 5550. After each of them died, I went back to a paper calendar. Currently, I am using Outlook on my work computer to track my calendar, but only because my boss insists and there is no use duplicating it on my iMac.

I use a paper folder to keep addresses, a business card folder for business cards, clipboards to keep my documents straight for work - though we are pushing slowly toward digital...

Blogs? I have a whole stack of comp books I journal in. If someone wants to know what I'm thinking, they can ask me.

About the only technology I have used consistently over the years has been Quicken. I haven't balanced a checkbook by hand since about 2000.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I don't know if it counts, but I can write much more clearly and quickly using a G2 rollerball. Does that count as streamlining?

Really, it's amazing how well you can make mediocre things work if you put a little more time in organization or learning to use efficiently. A lot of this fancy stuff is pretty unnecessary I think.

Could I use a PC? Sure, but a Mac is nicer. I really do loathe Windows but if it was all I had I'd make the most of it.

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Frankly, at this point, nothing.

For a long time I used PDA's... starting with a Sharp something-or-other, then a series of Palm OS PDA's from Handspring Visor to Sony CLIE to Palm Tx. Inevitably I begin to forget to take it about, or am forced not to for whatever reason (in one case the battery died and I lost all the data; in another case I physically lost the unit). My life isn't so busy that I can't keep track of where I need to go tonight or tomorrow night. I've got a paper calendar to write down really important things at home.

My Outlook calendar here at work keeps track of meetings for me. I've become completely dependent on it -- if it weren't for Outlook reminding me that I have a meeting at 2pm, I'd totally forget about it. I don't like being in that zone. It's OK for work, but I won't let that happen to me with my personal life. The last thing I need is for me to become so busy and overbooked that I forget that I was meeting with a friend for coffee...

Though to be honest Facebook does help with birthday reminders and events that people set up. :)

I don't even wear a wristwatch anymore. The strap broke on my watch in August of 2008 and I never bothered to get it fixed... I don't miss it!

6. macfem macrumors member

Post-it notes, my memory and my hyper-organized partner. [​IMG]

7. Paul B macrumors 6502

The biggest one for me is my iPhone.

No more need to carry around the following:
    -digital camera
    -notepad
    -calculator
    -iPod or other personal media player
    -portable game player
    -laptop (sometimes)

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Have you considered getting married? My wife keeps me in the know about what's important, reminds me when and where I'm supposed to be, and tells me quite often what I'm supposed to be doing. :D

9. Bostonaholic thread starter macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

haha. Yes I have and in our marriage, it's the other way around.

10. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Wife: Tells you everything you need to do and when you need to do it (now).

EDIT: I see I've been beaten to the punch. :)