What technology do you use in the classroom or elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JMax1, Mar 20, 2008.

1. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

I am a music therapist, and I'm interested in seeing what many of you use or have used in classroom settings or other therapeutic settings. I want to try to convince upper management (The $$Man) why we should invest in technology, and it's implications in our setting. I'm not looking strictly a Mac bias, but a good discussion on what anyone uses or can imagine a use for different technologies. Specifically for the use of addressing goals for special needs children, the disabled, mental health, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

(Plus, having this discussion online will also help me quote this website as a reference)

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I hope you don't mind if I suggest an alternative method.

You are much more likely to make a convincing case if you can cite credible sources. The Macrumours community is intelligent and helpful, but hardly an expert source.
    Go to your local public or academic library and ask a reference librarian for help. I conducted a simple search in a database, and found a lot of articles that discuss technology and therapy. To begin, the PsychInfo database has over 50 articles tagged "computer assisted therapy," which discuss the use of computing technology in helping patients recover/manage afflictions such as: addiction, forms of mental illness, stress/anxiety, phobias, some physical problems also, such as diabetes and obesity.

It's worth a shot, and anything you find there will be more convincing than comments from a rumours site.

4. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Even though this doesn't really pertain to your situation, my school uses only macs including all the teachers. More and more schools are doing this I believe.

5. JMax1 thread starter macrumors 6502

JMax1

Hey thanks for the idea. You're right, psychinfo has a great deal of info. I was definitely going to searching that and other databases. I just thought I'd also shoot a line here to see if anyone had some personal stories too.

Cheers!

6. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

Well I'm a history teacher

Technology has revolutionized my classroom...I have a Macbook Air and Projector hooked up in my class...I do all my lessons on Keynote, I'm able to show pictures, maps, play music, ect...I also have Internet connection, so I show tons of stuff from youtube...one helpful hint for those with Itunes, the Itunes store has tons of free stuff on education and all those cool shows from the History Channel, Science Channel, etc are sold on itunes, for relativity cheap, 1.99 is the most expensive I think...My kids love it, it's one thing to lecture on WWII, it totally different to show real pics of the battles, show video of actual battles, show the speeches done by Hitler, FDR, etc...all in real time all with the touch of a button...only draw back is that kids start to expect every class it be this way...if for some reason I forget to transfer my lesson from my Imac to my MBA, thus having no lesson to go by for that day, I just can't teach the normal way, kids hate it and fall a sleep!!! I love using my Apple products in school, just wish my school would buy it for me, instead of me shelling out the cash!:cool:

I've tried tech with PC's before I went fully Apple...it just didn't work, Apple is so seamless, if you want to use technology in the class you must use Apple!