What temperature do you keep in your homes?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've just been reading about what temperatures people are supposed to feel comfortable in, after an office discussion about air-con yesterday.

My thermostat at home is kept at 17.5C (63.5F) and I walk around in bare feet and often wearing very little :D. Any warmer and it feels really stuffy, yet I'm told that 20-21C (68-69.8F) is best for living spaces. I don't get it.

Another weird thing: the air-con in the office is set to 23C (73.4F) and it feels just right for working in, yet if I heated a room to that temperature it would feel really hot. Any reasons why that is? :confused:

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

It is currently 70 degrees at my place. Usually when I get home from work, I'll find 70 to be too warm, and cool it down a bit until I change out of my uniform and relax a little.

3. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Winter: 66-69ºF
    Summer: 69-72ºF
    Spring & Fall: No A/C or Heat

4. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Anywhere from 71 in the summer and up to 77 in the winter.

I read somewhere that in the Northern Hemisphere a good rule of thumb is to set it at your latitude. Ex. Chicago, around 71 degrees North, so its comfortable at 71. I don't know if thats true or not though.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Try to keep it at 68 all the time.
    Don't forget that the office AC might be different from your house. Room size wise and the type of heating system used.

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

My house is set to 60 degrees. Though we do turn it up when it just feels too cold. The reason isn't about comfort, I'd prefer something like 66-68 degrees, but its too expensive to keep the heat up like that in this older house with crappy insulation.

7. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

We can't adjust the heat in our apartment. It sucks, but heat is included in our rent, so I guess we can't complain that much. The heat gets turned up to almost 80 degrees sometimes, so I just open a window or two to offset the heat. It's their loss. ;)

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...as cool as I can tolerate. Winters here are not so frigid so it is relatively easy for me to keep it at about 15ºC most of the time without it being a bother. I find it easier to put a sweatshirt on to keep warm in the winter than to try keep cooler in the summer. No a/c in my Victoria place as it is really not needed, but at the New Mexico place it is on of course in tyhe summer...oh yeah!

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Mine is set at 74F and I live in a one-floor condo and the gas (heat) is included with the condominium fee. But my living room has a patio door and lots of windows so it is a few degrees cooler than the other side so I'm still not comfortable and have to wear a sweater but if I turn it up anymore it'll be too hot. That's what I'd rather be in the summer and dealing with 95F temperature ;)

10. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

17°C in the day during the days when we're not at home, 18°C if it's just me, or 20°C if it's the whole family.

We use forced air heating, which feels cooler than radiant methods.

Now, in the summer, the A/C kicks in above 27°C. Of course, I'm wearing a lot less (thinking of you, BV ;))

Depending on your latitude, your body may be accustomed to greater or lesser variances over time. Not sure if that explains the office A/C versus home heating phenomenon, though.

11. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

You heat the home when you're not in? Why?

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, that's weird. It happens to me too, and I don't really understand it. 20C should be 20C, no matter where your location, the season, or the size of the room.

My parents set it at 18 C. It's great in the summer, and horrible in the winter. However, we save money, and dress warmer. Toughen up, I say.

13. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

68 throughout the house...
    ...however, my room is usually set at 77 where I find my comfort zone

It also keeps out my parents and brother because they find it too stuffy

hehe ;)

14. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

15. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Pipes freeze quick in Canada. Besides, you can waste as much energy pushing your furnace through big fluctuations, versus a steady but lowered temp.

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

68F Winter, 78F Summer (Heat Pump). Porcelain tile in the entire house except for the bedrooms & office. Need slippers this time of year.

17. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Winter=65ºF/18ºC Day 63ºF/17ºC Night
    Spring/Summer/Fall=74ºF/23ºC with ceiling fans going in whatever room I am in

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

About 66ºF in the winter. If I'm alone in the house, I'll often turn it off (during the day, night is too cold for my taste :eek:).

No central AC for summertime. Windows, doors, and on those super duper hot CA summer days? We'll but the AC on. I set it to 85ºF, not bad when it's in the 100s. :D

19. MLeepson macrumors 6502

Usually around 70 to 72 F. But I'm up at this hour because I woke up with a really dry throat. (Some times I'll wake up with the ever-so-pleasant-nosebleed) I think the temp. goes even higher at night. (I didn't set it). My family gets pretty cold.

20. foidulus macrumors 6502a

While I've been living in the fatherland

I've cranked up my radiator in the room where I sleep to 5, all the rest are on snowflake. I hate paying bills and hate wasting energy, so I see no need to heat the rest of the apartment.... Makes getting out of the shower interesting though:eek:

21. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

When it's on, i.e. now in freezing February, the thermostat is set to 22c.

22. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

i'm assuming that you live in a cold place... so i hope that snowflake isn't the AC! :eek: that would be a waste of energy too!

23. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well I've turned the heating off in my bedroom and have the window open. I guess that means the ambient is fairly low, but my LCD display is like having a radiator anyway :). Keeps me nice and toasty.

The weather widget says it is 4 degrees outside so I'm guessing 10 - 15 degrees at the moment in my room?

24. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

17-18 at home
    21-23 at girlfriends house

When I go around there I feel really hot but when she comes around mine she is cold.

Student house fluctuates between about 15 - 30 (we have some Europeans who naturally like it warmer but it does get silly hot sometimes)

Our gas bill was £230 for a quarter which equates to £11 per person per month.

25. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

18°C (64°F) here. I sometimes put it down to 17°C (62°F) if it's warm enough outside. We have individual thermostats on all of our radiators too so we turn them to the settings we like for each room.

I have the spare bedroom off (for obvious reasons! lol) and my bedroom too. I can't sleep if it has heating in my bedroom. I get way too hot.

So £76.67 a month roughly? I thought mine was expensive for £35 (and in credit lol) a month in gas with a gas oven and central heating. 2 adults, 3 kids. I guess not?