Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Has nothing to do with max. It's all to do with efficiency and effectiveness. 2000rpms is already generally fast enough.

Well when you mention "threshold", that leads me to believe there is a certain speed it has to reach, correct? You never mentioned where this threshold is, or anything else.

So basically what you're saying is that fans degrade overtime. Excellent argument :D

As I said earlier, fans cost barely anything to replace compared to a HDD, CPU or logic board. Running my fans at half capacity isn't going to rip past some mystery threshold and ruin my fans.

Before I started using this program, my cpu was about 20 C hotter all day than it is right now. What could possibly be harmful about reducing that? Cooler components = better components

voyager03

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Somerset, UK
Before I started using this program, my cpu was about 20 C hotter all day than it is right now. What could possibly be harmful about reducing that? Cooler components = better components
But (and I'm guessing here) if you are already running at 3000rpm and the machine is pushed, what will it be able to do to reduce the temp of the heat-sink?

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
But (and I'm guessing here) if you are already running at 3000rpm and the machine is pushed, what will it be able to do to reduce the temp of the heat-sink?

I'm running at 3500(the max base speed in the app) The hardware max is 5500. The fan speed increases along with the temperature, just like it normally would -- I'm just increasing the base speed.

voyager03

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Somerset, UK
I'm running at 3500(the max base speed in the app) The hardware max is 5500. The fan speed increases along with the temperature, just like it normally would -- I'm just increasing the base speed.
Sure, you know better than the Apple hardware designers. Do carry on.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Sure, you know better than the Apple hardware designers. Do carry on.

I forgot Apple is all powerful and beyond reproach. If this were a PC I wouldn't get this from you :p

Look, what's with the hostility? I'm running the fans twice as fast as usual. BIG DEAL. I've just seen a lot of minis that run in the 50s and 60s when it doesn't have to.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
20100330003143.png

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
I forgot Apple is all powerful and beyond reproach. If this were a PC I wouldn't get this from you :p

Look, what's with the hostility? I'm running the fans twice as fast as usual. BIG DEAL. I've just seen a lot of minis that run in the 50s and 60s when it doesn't have to.

I appologise if I came across as hostile. I'm just trying to help you out by keeping your machine running in the long term. When that fan goes, the system will most likely grind to a halt before shutting down before it harms itself any further. The fins on a fan are angled in a way where it's most effecient at a certain rpm. When as the speed increases beyond it's effeciency threshold, it reduces it's ability to move the air as efficiently and may do more harm than good.

The way they've designed the mac mini in such a compact manner, it restricts the amount of airflow they can push through those machines to cool them and will tend to run quite warm.

If you decide to keep running the fans at such a high speed, keep a close eye on the health of the fan and the temps on the machine.

While the fan is cheap, don't let it be the 10c bolt be the cause of a multi million dollar aircraft failure.

voyager03

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Somerset, UK
Excuse my language, but you are a bunch of nuts thinking that boosting the temp. to max will do any good to your 'precious' Mini, that's all I've to say...
I don't think that is what was being suggested - was it?

I thought that some believe that running the fans faster than the Apple designers specify all the time will mean the chip will be cooler - although there is not much evidence that it does this and suspicion that it may cause premature fan failure.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Raima said:

I appologise if I came across as hostile. I'm just trying to help you out by keeping your machine running in the long term. When that fan goes, the system will most likely grind to a halt before shutting down before it harms itself any further. The fins on a fan are angled in a way where it's most effecient at a certain rpm. When as the speed increases beyond it's effeciency threshold, it reduces it's ability to move the air as efficiently and may do more harm than good.

The way they've designed the mac mini in such a compact manner, it restricts the amount of airflow they can push through those machines to cool them and will tend to run quite warm.

If you decide to keep running the fans at such a high speed, keep a close eye on the health of the fan and the temps on the machine.

While the fan is cheap, don't let it be the 10c bolt be the cause of a multi million dollar aircraft failure.

You still haven't shown any kind of proof as to what the threshold is. If you can provide documentation proving that the fans in the mac mini running beyond normal is harmful, I'll gladly accept that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.