Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P2 Shooter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Gold Coast, Oz
I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to how I should test my Refurb Mac Pro (dual 2.26 Octo, GT120, 6GB Ram) as supplied by the online store. I shall be upgrading the RAM, graphics card and hard drives in the near future, but want to check that the machine works correctly out of the box first.

I'm due to take delivery of a U2711 Dell monitor today or tomorrow, and so will be turning this system on for the first time then. I understand that everything should have been thoroughly checked through by an Apple tech at the factory, but the very fact that a refurb store exists means that the quality tests sometimes fail.

I'll be runnung FCS3 from this machine and need the machine to be reliable for paid work, hence the post. I have done a quick search, but only found a thread that was started over 18 months ago, and wondered if you guys had any current advice that could help me. Oh, and I probably should say that I'm new to macs also, so be gentle!!!

Ta!

maghemi

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I understand that everything should have been thoroughly checked through by an Apple tech at the factory, but the very fact that a refurb store exists means that the quality tests sometimes fail.

That is true. I bought a quad core refurb recently. When I turned it on it didn't work. Turned out to be a loose connection between the main board and CPU board.

As for testing. I'd just make sure you can turn it on first. And then really just use it. That's the best way to test it I reckon.

You'll find out pretty quick if there are any issues.

I suppose the only saving grace should there be anything wrong is that they apple warranty is pretty good and it will either get repaired or replaced. Though don't expect them to replace a refurb with a new machine, that just won't happen.

P2 Shooter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Gold Coast, Oz
Geez, that must have been bad luck to get a dud, but that I suppose proves I should be (mildly) cautious. It's not that I'm anticipating problems, I just want to be ready for any should they happen.

I've found something that could help with the testing the monitor for dead pixels (but the app might be too old now. Guess I'll find out soon!), as well as some diagnostic/maintenence tools. Does anyone have any experience with any of these, or any further help?

http://www.eskimo.com/~pristine/diag.html
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11661

Thanks guys.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It turns on out-of-the-box then I'd think it's okay.

If you really want to push, I mean you can run CPU stress tests for a couple days with Glucas non-stop; run a few memory test with Memtest OS X; run do a disk scan and verification with Drive Genius. I do think the extensive test is overkill, but it will get the job done.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Also do the simple step of comparing what the system is supposed to have with both a physical inspection (open it up and look), and with the System Profiler (can let you know if something's different or not working).

There has been a report or two that what was bought /= what was shipped (graphics cards and memory IIRC).

Just a suggestion.

P2 Shooter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Gold Coast, Oz
Hi Guys,

Quick update, the monitor arrived an hour or so ago, so i finally switched the computer on after waiting patiently for the last few days. I checked the system profiler, and everything that is supposed to be there is, and the ram is all present and correct. I checked the machine upon receipt and knew that i hadn't gotten any refurb freebies, but you just never know until you hit go i suppose!

Just had the pleasure of connecting to an airport express as it shipped without an airport card built in. Took a little longer than I thought, but everything seems good. I might not go into too much detail with checking things through then if thats general consensus. If it aint broke.....don't fix it I suppose!

See you all around the traps, I get the feeling I could need more hand holding at some point!!:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.