What the 3.0 Software means for Hardware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rckclmbr, Mar 18, 2009.

1. rckclmbr macrumors newbie

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since 3.0 beta was already released to developers, doesn't this technically rule out a front facing camera? Wouldn't the software for the camera already be there, and wouldn't they want developers to already begin working on some cool stuff if there was in fact a front facing camera?

Also, is it still likely for a hardware update coming this summer? Any MAJOR changes (keyboard, front facing camera, flash, ect.) would have been listed with the 3.0 software update so developers can get a head start? Correct?
    I guess they could update the camera, battery, and casing, but is there really much more they can or would do?

:D

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

They could just update the SDK. Apple won't spill all it's beans. Even if it doesn't, the iPhone's hardware, through the BT and connector, now extends to anything that can interact with it - gym equipment, Heart Rate monitor, glucose monitor, whatever- this could be a huge boon for hacks and projects.

3. mbleopard macrumors regular

We won't know about any physical changes until June most likely, there may not be that many changes on the outside of the phone, but possibly upgraded internals like the processor and memory and such

4. michael31986 macrumors 68030

wow thats a smart thought. See another point why i feel no major iphone change, except for hard drive bump and maybe new look to the back of the phone. no new front camera. that isn't a big thing that phones in the US use.

5. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Obviously they can change the overall shape of the handset if they so desire, but I reckon there would be fair amount of disgruntled iPhone 3G owners looking at buying new docks etc already.

Hardly seems fair, but as I say, not impossible.

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

- Third-Party Accessory Apps: Allowing accessory manufacturers to create applications to interface with their hardware accessories.

This pretty much eliminate the need for iPhone to have a built-in camera.

7. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

yeah because it would be so cool to carry around a whole backpack of accessories instead of just a phone ....

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

So rushing out a new hardware design for the sake of adding front-end camera is a better idea?

9. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

you never said front end :) but i think in the two years in which the design of the phone has basically been the same a company like apple would have had more than enough time to come up with some designs ...personally I don´t really care about another camera because I probably wouldn´t use it that much (except if Steve says I have to ;-) )

10. Tussen69 macrumors regular

never say never ...

many people uses the iChat camera with Photobooth ...

Also sending a personal video message or a video-type thing that works like Visual Voce on the iPhone but with video instead ...

I can realy see that a front-side cam can have more use then just for realtime chat ... and remember Apple is a re-inventer ... they "could" reinvent how video conferance calls works and what we think of it ..

11. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I think after Apple's last multi-release fiasco they won't try it again.

In June we are expecting Snow Leopard, iPhone 3.0 and now a new iPhone model?

At the most we can only expect a preview of some phone that might be released in November for the holiday period.

I can't see new iPhone model until the end of the year. Snow Leopard is a major internal overhaul and so it will take some time and resources in order to stabilise.

I can't wait for Snow Leopard. It sounds like it has great potential.

12. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

good point. I expect a staggerred summer release date but everything still shipping by august IMO.

13. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I posted this in another thread, but it got no play time. Enjoy!

Link

hmmmm....

14. istinkles macrumors member

But it they upgrade the processor, does that mean their might be apps that would only work on the 3rd generation of the iPhone (if there will be one this year)

15. mbleopard macrumors regular

While there is a slight possibility of that happening, I highly doubt it, I don't think Apple would let it happen, they would miss out on making money on Apps from older iPhones.

16. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

apple is....very very sneaky.....and they dont need to add support for something they dont plan on developers having acces too, maybe the front facing camera is for their own ichat av camera.