What the best non-apple mouse (3rd party)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by irishgrizzly, Jan 11, 2008.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'm sick of the "mighty" mouse – the scroll wheel keeps clogging up on me :(

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Logitech MX Revolution.
    Wireless, rechargeable, sleek, and functional.

3. Modjo macrumors member

I had an MX1000 before i bought this MX Revolution. Now that was a decent mouse. The MX Revolution is just an annoying rodent if you ask me. The buttons are too sensitive, not placed very well, that special scrolling wheel is more or less ok (sometimes it goes into free scrolling by itself), but i haven't really found any decent use for it (except if you work with 10000 row excell sheets all the time), ...

Now that's my opinion about the hardware ... the Logitech software is just simply the biggest piece of cr*p i've used on any mac, ever. They removed unsanity's APE in the new version but a whole slew of problems are caused because of this software.
    The Dock becomes unresponsive, mouse doesn't get recognized, won't wake from sleep, kernel panics when waking from sleep, ... That's just what i have experienced. Take a look at forums.logitech.com it's simply unbelievable that a company like that has such crappy mac-support.

If you want to use their products without worrying about problems, a 3rd party controller like SteerMouse of USBOverdrive is no luxury. But why would you want to buy a mouse and pay for 3rd party software to get it to work properly.
    The MX1000 had the same or even worse software problems, but at least the hardware was worth the price.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've never installed any of the Logitech software. I've used/currently use a few different Logitech mice - MX518, G7, MX400, and some kind of little wireless mouse for my MacBook Pro - and all I've ever done is just plug 'em in. If they need tweaking, I just do that in System Preferences. I just recently discovered that my MX 400 has a tilting scroll wheel that allows side-to-side scrolling and that also works fine on my Mac Pro without any software installation.

5. Modjo macrumors member

Well if i buy a 100$ mouse, i expect all 10 buttons to be functional and fully configurable. I don't believe the Mouse & Keyboard system prefs allow you to assign certain keystrokes to every single button or (in the case of an MX Revolution) adjust the free/click scrolling.

What i didn't mention in my previous post was it's battery life. I don't understand why so many people are raving about it. The MX1000 lasted me over a week with very intensive use. The MX Revolution lasts about 2 to 3 days.

6. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Not sure if it's the best but I love it...I have the Logitech VX Nano. Purchased it when it was on sale in the store and had a MIR from Logitech. Cost me $24