What the best RSS reader, low on resources, with Growl notifications?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by techmonkey, Nov 5, 2007.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I am looking for a good RSS reader that is low on system resources and uses Growl for notifications. What I would really like is to be able to set certain feeds to notify me a different way. I like to keep an eye on several "Deal" sites, so a notification that pops up and stays up would be great. BTW, I use Thunderbird for email, but the RSS reader doesnt seem to give notifications with Growl, only emails.

Any suggestions?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

When I used to use RSS readers I found Vienna to be pretty cool. Growl works with it too. Give it a shot.

3. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I use vienna also and love it.
    Not so sure though if this is what the TO is looking for.

4. n00basaur macrumors regular

5. eji macrumors 6502

eji

6. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Downloaded Vienna, giving it a try, thanks.

So far I notice that it only gives you a general notifiction, it doest specifically say what RSS feed is updated. Is there a way to do this? I like to keep an eye on Slickdeals.net, and if Vienna could notify me with Growl and keep the notification as a sticky, that would be great.

7. vm7118 macrumors regular

growl itself can sticky your notifications after 30 sec of inactivity. i know nothing of rss feed apps tho, so sorry if you already knew that about growl and im just wasting pixels :p

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I'm a Vienna user, and lover of it as well. Tried NewsFire, NetNewsWire, Shrook, etc., just liked Vienna the most.

9. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

10. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

11. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

it's a system wide notification tool and must have in my opinion.
    it supports many apps and is truly useful...
    just visit the homepage and you will get the idea...once you have used it you will ask yourself how you survived without it:D

12. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

13. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

thanks

im trying to get growl working in mercury but it aint showing up in the growl menu do i need to start it somewere on mercury?

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

If it says on growl's site that it works with Mercury, and you don't have to download anything (occasionally there'll be a plugin), then you should find some kind of "enable growl notifications" in Mercury. I don't use Mercury, so I can't help more than that.

15. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I love Vienna too, but I do not find that it qualifies for "low on resources". It's quite the memory hog, and it has leaks too -- one time I found it eating almost 1GB of RAM. It also crashes on me occasionally.

I also find myself starting to wish I could sync news feeds across computers, but that's another issue entirely (I'd rather not use Newsgator).

Any suggestions for a better-performing RSS reader?

16. zackatoustra macrumors newbie

zackatoustra

Delayed growl notifications

Hi guys,

I've been testing Vienna, NetNewsWire et NewsFire, but there's one functionnality I haven't found in any of those well deisgned applications : delayed notifications.
    Let me explain :
    Say you open you news reader in the morning. You've got a whole bunch of rss updates you didn't check. In netnewswire, when that happens, a myriad of growl notifications pop up, at the same time.
    What I'd like is those pop-up to be displayed one or two at a time, so that the flow of notifications get put on a FiFO( first in first out) queue.... See what I mean? Know any way of accomplishing this, with the apps I'm already using, or another one, or by some handmade tricks?
    If so, I'd be glad to hear from you!

Thanks!
    (Should I start a thread, so that I don't spoil this thread?... Not sure... If I should, well, tell me....)

17. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

I too am after something very similar, devs, get to work! haha

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Newsfire user over here, I used to be a NNW user before NF went freeware, and Vienna just didn't cut it for me.

19. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

what i really want is an rss reader that show the last 5-10 feeds in a hud/growl style window until they are read, that would be beautiful and unobtrusive, with the option to have it act like a normal window with an 'always on top' preference. Please someone make this app, i wont sue!

20. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

heres a nice way of doing it:

download the free site specific browser 'Fluid'

add google reader (for iphone site)

edit the window preferences to your liking

[​IMG]

works well for any iphone site (you can do webclipping for dashboard as a good alternative)

21. slexus macrumors newbie

started looking for an upgrade to Vienna today. i have the same need as the original poster. i only keep private RSS feeds on my computer, which dont updated that often, but when they do, i would like a growl notification similar to an email one - at least i want to know what feed updated and secondarily information about individual items. just downloaded netnewswire and it only has the global notification option.. so it looks like in the middle of 2008, this feature doesnt exist in any noteworthy reader?