What the competition is up to...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calx60, Feb 23, 2013.

1. calx60 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

It's my first post here, although I've been reading Macrumors blog forever!

I was just curious to know what everyone's take was on the following:

I've been blown away in seeing & using some new "hybrid" laptops that are coming out by the competition.

So many of them are equipped with:

- touch screens that work seamlessly with software
    - Modular screens that unhinge and act as a tablet in its own right (some a little large such as the SONY Vaio Tap 20 or the Asus Taichi which even has a double screen)
    - great interaction with the new Windows 8 (which after a few minutes kinda grew on me & made me feel that Mountain Lion looked a little outdated...)

I'm curious as to what Apple plans on doing with their MBP line in comparison to these exciting new features from their competition. After all Apple "invented" the iPad and the superlaptop concept, so it would seem natural that they would further incorporate these ideas into a workhorse machine like the MBP.

I own and use a 17'' MBP - I'd love to just unhook the monitor and read it like a newspaper. Or instead of pinching the trackpad, use my fingers in logic...

What's y'alls take on this?

2. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

Firstly, Welcome to the forums! We are a friendly people, but god have mercy on your soul if you get a fact wrong. :p

I think that this isn't something apple would do, they want to keep laptops as laptops, and iPads as iPads, that way, they can keep the iOS system more locked down, and more people will buy both products. I for one would never want a transforming laptop, and I always prefer to use a Macbook Pro to an iPad. If you look at my thread about getting a G5, I am way too much of a power user, and I do way too much multitasking to be able to use a tablet as a primary device.
    Bit of a rant, but each to their own! :)

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I agree with the above poster. I too am a power user. I feel just *way* to restricted when using an iPad, or any tablet.

Also, I'm not a big fan of dealing with Windows issues 24/7, so I prefer OS X.