Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Is there any passwords to change or anything?

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Yes the first thing you should do is to change the root password through MTerminal, from the standard "Alpine" to your own password.
Thats an important step for safety.

How do you do that please?

Also what if you don't have ssh installed ?

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2017
How do you do that please?

Also what if you don't have ssh installed ?

• Launch the MTerminal app from the Home screen.
  • Type su root at the prompt and tap on the return key.
  • You will be prompted to enter the password, enter alpine and tap the return key.
  • Type passwd
  • You will be prompted to enter the new password, enter a new password and tap the return key.
  • You will be prompted to re-enter the new password, enter the new password again and tap the return key. (Note that your keypresses will not be displayed on the terminal screen for security reasons)
I don´t think that you need OpenSSH.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
ok thaNKS
  • Launch the MTerminal app from the Home screen.
  • Type su root at the prompt and tap on the return key.
  • You will be prompted to enter the password, enter alpine and tap the return key.
  • Type passwd
  • You will be prompted to enter the new password, enter a new password and tap the return key.
  • You will be prompted to re-enter the new password, enter the new password again and tap the return key. (Note that your keypresses will not be displayed on the terminal screen for security reasons)
I don´t think that you need OpenSSH.

Ok thanks!

freqrider

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2019
Change mobile account password as well! Default is also alpine. Now even Apple can’t gain access to your device! Same as above, substitute ‘root’ for ‘mobile'.

Reactions: TokMok3

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
I'm not an expert at this, and I might be wrong but for what I have read If there's a new exploit for that version of iOS and the operating system has not been updated to fix that vulnerability changing the password won't help much. I think that's the risk of jailbreaking in this times.

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2017
I'm not an expert at this, and I might be wrong but for what I have read If there's a new exploit for that version of iOS and the operating system has not been updated to fix that vulnerability changing the password won't help much. I think that's the risk of jailbreaking in this times.

If you are jailbroken then that means there is an exploit for that particular iOS version. Maybe with the right kind of tool created from an exploit you can bypass the password requirement, but that requires knowledge.

At a minimum it prevents the "ordinary" criminal to access your phone by SSH, and I think thats the main reason for changing the password.

A jailbroken phone is generally less secure than a non jailbroken, so one needs to decide which is most important, a jailbreak or better security, so the idea is to make it as safe as possible while still jailbroken.
That is my understanding of jailbroken phones?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
As the exploit is already in iOS, every idevice on that firmware is equally vulnerable, jailbroken or not, as long as you install non-pirated apps from trusted repo’s the risk of someone actually accessing your phone by ssh are extremely remote, changing the standard root password might help but more for the paranoid among us.

A JBen device is basically just as secure as non-JBen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.