What the heck did Apple do to Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thejadedmonkey, Nov 10, 2009.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Wow. I just decided to install OS X 10.6.2 while having a strong long island iced tea, so forgive me if I ramble...

Exposé is aweful, the blue border around each window, and the grid view. Airport, which never gave me issues before, is horrible. the icons are huge. The power icon in the menu bar doesn't let me choose which power setting to use. I haven't even had the expected bugs yet (that's why I waited til 10.6.2), and it feels like a HUGE step backwards.

this is awful. I archived my old system, library, and user folders. can I just restore them, or do I need to re-install Leopard to go back (restoring the hidden files and folders)?

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Yeah, even with 10.6.2, I feel ready to go back to Leopard, too. Worst $40 I ever spent.

3. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

No denying that :)

4. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I mean heck, I've been critical of Apple lately (look at my previous posts!) but I never expected anything so drastic from them. For a release that is only supposed to be under-the-hood improvements, all I've noticed so far are letdowns and regressions...

the one semi-good change I noticed is that you can now minimize applications to the .app icon in the dock. And while I think that's cool- it makes the dock more along the lines of the taskbar- I kinda enjoy using OS X as a getaway from Windows, not because it's just like Windows....

Be back in about 90 minutes after I install Leopard, hopefully I'll be more sober!

5. acurafan macrumors 6502a

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

That went away in one of the 10.5.x Leopard updates. :confused:

I wasn't too impressed with Snow Leopard either -- initially. I upgraded my home Mac on day#1, but not my work machine. After about a week, I really started to miss a lot of the subtle Snow Leopard features at work, so I upgraded there too.

I really don't see how you can write it off with as little actual "driving time" as you have behind the wheel with it, but to each their own.

7. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Nahh, it was still there for me in 10.5.8...

And regarding the short testing time, I think that was related to my stiff drink. However, when there aren't any new programs or improvements, and what I use most (expose) is, in my opinion, degraded, I can't justify keeping Snow Leopard. Ok, ok, point taken, I'll install it to an external and try it tomorrow all day, and see if I like it any better... I guess I'm just disappointed though.

8. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I guess to each their own. I'm running SL on all three of our Macs at home and it's been fine. 10.6.1 fixed a lot of the VMWare problems we were having, but otherwise everything has been fine and running smoothly.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's running smoothly on my wife's MacBook as well. I don't know why everyone hates the new Exposé. Personally, I think it's a lot smoother and is organized A LOT better. It also solved all of my wife's connection issues with airport.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Count me in the "not this time" crowd. My best OS experience this year has been Windows 7. Maybe 10.7 will hold something for me but it will be on fresh hardware, no more Mac upgrades on the current boxes (now all 2+ years old).

11. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

I'm actually happy with Snow Leopard. Leopard just pissed me off to no ends.

Lets see. With Leopard, the UI was laggy. I mean, I couldn't even enable the wallpaper switcher, because the UI lag during the transition was unbearable. Snow Leopard restored the UI responsiveness to near Tiger levels.

Recovering the HDD space was great. Oh, and applications definitely seemed to open snappier. Pretty much all the bugs I had with Leopard are gone.

There is one issue. Snow Leopard keeps telling me that I need to service the battery, and I have lost a good hour off my battery life, compared to Leopard. But with 2+ hours of battery life on a 2 year old Macbook Pro, I'm still satisfied.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

13. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Attached Files: