What the heck happened to my new iPad screen??!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dylatron2000, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Dylatron2000 macrumors regular

Dylatron2000

Backstory: I preordered the 16GB white wi-fi only new iPad, and it arrived last friday at 11am, and it was PERFECT! Screen was amazing, no dead pixels, and no yellow tint, and no backlight bleeding either! it was great!

UNTIL TONIGHT, I looked at my iPad after setting it down (in a case) on my table, and when examining it, there is a line that goes down the screen vertically, and left me wondering... WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED!!

I thought I was lucky to not have any of those problems but I guess I jinxed myself :( and now I am at a loss. I backed it up and set up a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow night, but really, what is going on?? I haven't been rough on it at all, and haven't taken it out of a book style case since I got it friday.

Attached Files:

2. number84 macrumors 6502

I've seen that on my old laptop. I think you just lost a whole line of pixels.

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

My Game Boy DMG-01 suffers from the same thing. lol Applecare here I come!!

4. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

84 called it right, you have a line of dead pixels. Better to happen now than after you're warranty is out.

5. big samm macrumors 65816

6. Dylatron2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Dylatron2000

GREAT. Well at least my appointment is tomorrow night, not even a week within owning it. I am bringing the box, cables, booklet and EVERYTHING short of the plastic body cover it came with, when I go too.

You guys think there is any chance of an exchange? I wouldn't even mind switching white for black or....godforbid maybe even paying another 100 for 32GB. I have already started using the iPad as a laptop replacement and losing it would really set me back

7. Kemical, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

Kemical macrumors newbie

That definitely looks like a row of dead pixels. Either exchange it or make an appointment at the Apple store and have someone look at it.

You are within the 14 day return policy if you bought it from Apple. You shouldn't have any issue exchanging it for a different model if they have what you want in stock.

8. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Of course they will exchange it.

And most likely it will be a brand new model.

Last year for the iPad 2 I had to exchange multiple times for backlight bleed, and they had them in stock even when they were out of stock to sell. They keep some for issues like yours, now the question is will they have your model, because they will not give you a different one, not even a different color.

9. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Just take it back. It's only 4 days old for Christ sake. There is always a percentage of duds in anything massed produced. That's why you have warranties.

10. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Doesn't matter. He's within his 15 day return period. So if he bought it from Apple, he can return it and get whatever model/color he wants.

11. Dylatron2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Dylatron2000

THAT is interesting, I never knew this. But yeah, it isn't even a week old, someone told me (back when I had an issue with my iPhone 4) that if it is within 14 days, it can be exchanged, even for a different color or size, but after that it is only for the same model.

12. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Exchange wise no. They do not change the model for an exchange.

But of course you can return it and just rebuy a new one of whatever you want. But then its a matter of putting that 600 or whatever out again and waiting for the original to get credited back to your account.

13. Dylatron2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Dylatron2000

SO, I figure I'd post since it all got resolved tonight.

Went to the apple store, explained my problem, they were like "yeah that shouldn't happen." We laughed about it, they went in the back, gave me a brand new iPad still sealed in box. Walked out a happy camper. :cool:

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's nothing you've done...Apple will sort it out.

15. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

This is why I am happy to pay a premium to Apple and I shop at Apple stores. Other, lower quality shops, they'd give you the damn runaround, accuse you of damaging the item, etc. Only after you threaten them would they exchange the item

16. bluesy macrumors newbie

That actually happens in many countries where Apple dont have their own stores, no matter if you go to the store or call Apple, they can be very unhelpfull.

I had an iPhone 3GS where the screen was devided in 3 colours, it took 3 times to a repair center before i was finally accepted for a replacement, and stores arent allowed to declare dead on arrival if they want to be compensated by Apple.

Wich we had a real Apple store with a genius bar :(