Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
So I have a LinkedIn account, and every once in awhile I'll see people view my profile, and it usually lists their job title. Lately I've been seeing "social media strategist" as a listed job title.

Who gets that job, how do you get qualified to do that, and what the heck do you do?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It's just an outgrowth of Internet marketing that more companies are doing. It's your company's strategy for its presence across the social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn etc.) and how you use it. Some companies, the smart ones, monitor the Internet for mentions of their company and brands and deal and/or react to issues quickly. Some provide customer service on various social media platforms. That's what a social media strategist does.

Some companies rely more on Facebook than their own web site as it gets more traffic.

Smart marketers know mobile is where the money's is.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
So this person's job is to check Facebook and stuff?

They are likely the people gathering information to better inform how to spread propaganda. So yes, that would include looking through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Reddit, etc.

They may also be making a first pass through LinkedIn to identify potentially interesting people to hand off to recruiters who might do a cold call.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
It's essentially hiring a spambot. We have one of those and her pay is not bad for posting on social media sites.

Sounds like you need to hire someone who knows what they're doing. Social media shouldn't be spam if you use it right.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
So I have a LinkedIn account, and every once in awhile I'll see people view my profile, and it usually lists their job title. Lately I've been seeing "social media strategist" as a listed job title.

Who gets that job, how do you get qualified to do that, and what the heck do you do?

LindedIn has a definition for you;

Social media strategists are marketing professionals who specialize in the research, planning, development and (often) implementation of a business' social media program....

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
We have social media strategists at our work. The overall goal is to increase site traffic. The way they do this is by interacting with an audience through social media. Getting likes, shares, all of these bring interaction to your brand and site. So a social media strategist is a glorified facebook updater with a sprinkle of analytics to analyze working and non working tactics.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
A position like this can be crucial to the growth of a company, especially with people using exclusvely smartphones/apps/social media as their main means of communication thesedays.

My cousin has worked doing this sort of stuff for a few years now, and he's pulling in six figures at the corporate level. It's something you can easily laugh at, but smart companies know the potential of such marketing stragities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.