What the heck is all that "other" stuff

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ssajous, Jul 26, 2008.

1. ssajous macrumors member

I installed 2.0 in my first gen iPhone, I have 2 small apps, remote and shazam, for some reason I have 4gigs of other eating up all my space. What is the deal?

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    4 gigs??? dang that's high.. most people say that other is the OS, but I've always thought it was just the apps. and maybe contacts and things. I always thought the OS was the extra amount of memory that you aren't alloted to use. like i'm supposed to have 16gb but i only have like 14.5gb available. I thought all that overhead stuff was the OS.

Basically I don't know, but 4 gigs seems insanely high. I have many many apps and I'm pretty sure my other is around 3gb or under...

3. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I was up to 2.4 Gig the other day but it was because I had a recording saved in VoiceNotes. Once I got rid of that, it went back down to something like 383 MB...so the "Other" does include apps, any data you have in those apps, as well as the rest of the stuff I believe like the OS, system files, etc.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

four gigs is too high (unless one of your apps you have has insanely large files stored in it).

And no. The OS is stored in 'other'. 14.5GB is 16GB. A gigabyte can be calculated two ways, the first is 1024MB, the other is 1,000MB. When you have 16GB calculated the second way it is equal to about 14.5GB calculated the other way. Computer companies advertise things calculated the second way, but computers calculate size the first way. It's sort of cheating...

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

restore, start as new iphone, copy all music, apps etc back