What the heck is an AGP graphics card?

TechnoPagan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
My MacBook Pro is just a few hours out of its box. I've run Migration Assistant and all of my applications seem to have travelled on over. However, when I try to open Final Cut Pro (HD 4.5--I just ran an update), I get a configuration error.

I'm working on a stock 17" MacBook Pro--so, running 10.4.6 on 2.16 GHz Core Duo with 1GB of RAM.

Any ideas what I should try?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Search the forum for "Final Cut" - there's an answer in here somewhere -- this is a known bug in the installer you can work around. The MBP does not have an AGP video card, it has a PCI-e video card, and the installer is freaked about that.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah, this is the wonderful error that shows up on PCI-Express machines. The older Pro software can't detect your card. Yes, even though PCI-Express is superior to AGP blah...blah...

TechnoPagan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Thanks CanadaRAM and Eidorian! Well, it's not me--that's good to know.

I've done a forum search and haven't been able to find the cure--just other people with the same problem and a suggestion for a workaround that didn't seem to work around much of anything.

If I call AppleCare tomorrow, would they be able to help me? Or do they disavow all knoweldge of any errors with FinalCutPro on the new MBP?

They won't suggest I buy/upgrade to 5.1 will they? I've already plunked down a pretty chunk of change on this, figuring it would run my apps even if I'm sticking with Rosetta for a wee bit longer (let the checking account recover).

TechnoPagan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
still stuck

Ok, by going through Google, I found this:

Final Cut Express 2 running on MacBook Pro
Posted on - Mon Apr 24 03:58:00 BST 2006
The other day I needed to run Final Cut Express 2 on my intel MacBook Pro. Knowing that Final Cut Express 2 is a PowerPC binary there would problems a head but the only two real ones I've had are FCE 2 saying it want start becouse it can't find a AGP card on my Mac, the second is exporting using 'Using QuickTime Conversion...'.

The problem I found can be solved regarding the graphics card, is to open up the Info.plist file, note you'll have to run as a admin user for editing the file:

/Applications/Final Cut Express.app/Contents/Info.plist

Now about 13 lines down you'll fine this bit of code regarding the kind of graphis card it's looking for:

<string>AGP</string>

In my case I renamed it to:

<string>PCIe</string>

Why? PCIe, well I when to Apple > About This Mac > More Info... and then went to Graphics/Displays and looked for Bus: PCIe and replaced that with in the string of my plist file.
If it works for FCE, it should work for FCP, right? Except I can't seem to find the .plist

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm pretty sure there is a solution out there specifically for FCP 4.5 on Intel machines. That said, you can upgrade to FCS 5.1 for $200 which to me is a killer deal. That is almost certainly what Apple will tell you do do if you email/call them about this problem.

TechnoPagan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
You're psychic, mduser63! Apple told me there was no solution and I had to upgrade. Yeah, $200 is a great deal *if* I hadn't just plunked down $2800 on a new laptop and I wasn't 3.5 months away from my next paycheck.

But, at this point it's in for a penny, in for a pound, I suppose. :rolleyes:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
TechnoPagan said:
Meaning I shouldn't have used it, iGary[/]?

Some people have great luck with it, some people (me) have had serious nightmares with it.

Judging by the responses here (I'm no Final Cut person at all), it's not necessarily the assistant. ;

TechnoPagan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Well, everything transferred over, which is synonymous with migrating. So I guess I'm good.

Plus I didn't have to track down all my product keys and serial numbers!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
TechnoPagan said:
Well, everything transferred over, which is synonymous with migrating. So I guess I'm good.

Plus I didn't have to track down all my product keys and serial numbers!
Let us know how you like the machine after you have used it for a while. ;)

gknow73

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
Better late than never!

Ok, by going through Google, I found this:

If it works for FCE, it should work for FCP, right? Except I can't seem to find the .plist
It works!!! It works!!!
I had to save the OmniOutliner document as Info.plist and replace it in the contents folder.

Thanks!!!

tdbaws

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2004
Denver, CO
It works!!! It works!!!
I had to save the OmniOutliner document as Info.plist and replace it in the contents folder.

Thanks!!!
i'm having trouble saving this as Info.plist. In OmniOutliner, it wants to save it with a .oo3 extension or as both. What did you do gknow???

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Load the first up in text edit and when you go to save as stick a .plist on the end and say that you want to use the .plist extension when it asks.

J.A.M.

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
Thank you

I did as TechnoPagan advised and Final Cut express HD (ver.3.0) started working on my Macbook Pro (late 2009 model). So far no errors etc...

Thank you so much!!!