What the heck is Parallels doing?!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BiikeMike, Apr 17, 2007.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

So, I just got myself this new shiny Mac Pro, and i'm trying to install Windows 2K. I got me some Parallels action going, and it has a window that says "Testing virtual machine configuration.
    Please, wait ..."

its been stuck there for about 10 minutes now. how long am I supposed to wait?! It definantly doing something, because this is the most load I've put on the processor yet, it's humming along at a measly 25% :)

What should I do?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I already force quit, uninstalled and reinstalled for this very reason

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Are you trying to boot the VM before the install? If so try just doing the easy set up, this starts every time you start parallels. It lets you start a VM or create a new one.

4. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

No, haven't had time to mess w/it. It better work next time though! ;)

5. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Still not Working

Needless to say, I'm pissed! It did the same thing with Windows 2K, now I'm trying with XP. I've installed this disc before on Windows boxes, so I know it works.

Attached Files:

6. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Does this mean anything to anybody?

7. miker51 macrumors newbie

Did you reboot after you installed Parallels? I believe that Parallels installs some kernel extensions, and needs a reboot before it works properly.

8. ogee macrumors 6502

Try to download the most recent version 2188 from the parallels site. The version you have is old. Maybe the cause of your problem has been fixed.

9. brkirch macrumors regular

It's actually 3188 ;) and is a free update that can be downloaded from here. I have heard of some compatibility problems with older builds of Parallels and newer builds of Mac OS X, so hopefully getting the newest version will fix your problem. If not you might want to ask for help on the Parallels forum as I'm sure the developers would be interested in fixing the problem.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

First indications... that it's a problem with the disk or a disk.

Code:
    0xf55000 - 0xf5afff com.apple.iokit.SCSITaskLib 1.5.3 /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SCSITaskUserClient.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SCSITaskLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SCSITaskLib
    This could be SATA, ATA, USB, or Firewire. What are you trying to install the disk image onto?

11. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Thanks for the ideas guys, I just got home from a long work weekend, and i'll try installing later. I realized that I had an old version, and I updated it, I'll do a disk check now too.

12. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Sweet! Updated Parallels, repaired permissions, and looky here, I can run my bid-ness software on my new Mac! :)

I'm a happy camper :)

Although, I can't figure out why my Win2K install disk is in French :confused: So I had to go with XP. Oh well.:rolleyes: