What the heck is this (picture attached)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by redondilo, Sep 29, 2009.

1. redondilo macrumors newbie

Long time mac user, completely confused about why mac started switching windows this way. It slides them off to the sides when I click on apps. DOn't like it. Want it to stop. Any help?

Attached Files:

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, Spaces. You have it set to 1x2.

I think that if you actually learned and understood what Spaces is and does, you would use it.

4. redondilo thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks. I knew there was a reason I didnt ever enable it...

5. devburke Guest

I dunno, I know all about it, but I don’t use it. With hiding and Exposé, I see no reason not to keep everything all together. But then again, I probably don’t have as many windows open at once as some people (I don’t know when the last time I had 10 windows open and visible was).

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Here's how I use it:

• I have four spaces (2x2)
    • I dedicate specific applications to specific Spaces (you can do this in the Spaces Preferences)

Space 1:
    Safari and Mail

Space 2:
    Firefox

Space 3:
    iTunes and iPhoto

Space 4:
    iCal

All other applications can open in whichever Space I'm currently using. I have it organized this way so that I can keep multiple windows and applications open without having to minimize much into the Dock.

7. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I sue Safari, Mail, iTunes and Adium. But iTunes and Mail are always closed (in the background), so I have no use for Spaces.

8. Zortrium macrumors 6502

I generally use multiple spaces as a big bulletin board to pin my billions of open terminal windows all over the place when I'm working. I also do the same with browser windows, though less so. With spaces turned off, my screen quickly turns into an unintelligible mess.

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I remember thinking that I'd really like Spaces.

I'm used to having tonnes of windows open all over the page whenever I'm working on something important for uni but I soon realised I was way too used to just using Expose and hiding/minimising things. Found it took me longer to do things on Spaces than it did with Expose.