What the heck is this popup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Merkava_4, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

I get that every so often. Of course I press Cancel because I don't want some app making changes to my files. How do I get rid of this thing?

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

First, are you the computer admin, or do you have a secondary account on there? Second, did you download this Completer app?

I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, this file is missing the proper file permissions and wants you to verify the file so it can run. If you're on the admin account and you don't know where the file came from, I guess you can continue to ignore it. The pop-ups will continue until you fix the file permissions or remove the file.

3. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not the admin, but I have the admin's password.

I don't remember ever downloading that app, nor do I know what it's for. One thing that's weird, even though I press the cancel button, the app still puts an installer disc icon on the desktop. Thanks for your help. :)

4. jdelgado macrumors regular

5. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Rule of thumb, if it looks weird, it's probably junk software.

6. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found it! With the help of jdelgado's links, I got it in the trash and deleted it. :)

This is the link I used for the instructions.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If it's your laptop, I'd strongly suggest that you switch over to the admin account. There's no reason you shouldn't be unless you share somebody else's laptop.

8. jdelgado macrumors regular

Why use the admin account? Can you elaborate?
    I have separate admin and user accounts in my MBP, and the user account is my regular/working environment. Although it may result in more work at times, particularly when installing or updating applications, I know if something is trying to do things I have not requested.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Download something called "Adware Medic" and run it.

What results do you get?

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

To each their own, but it seems silly to me to not be the admin of your own computer, especially for someone who is less computer savvy and comes across an issue like this.

11. jdelgado macrumors regular

I think it is the other way around. If one is not "computer savvy", being a user instead of an admin, one has additional "protection". If an application tries to do something, like in this case, one gets a warning and can decide whether or not to allow it doing changes.

12. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If you're on the admin account, and something tries to download, it should ask for your password anyway. Then the strange app never gets downloaded, and it's not there to request to change permissions. With Yosemite, pretty much anything that isn't from the App Store should have an alert pop up.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The same is true, whether using a standard or admin account. There is no security advantage/disadvantage in running either type of account.