What the heck is this thing on my screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gusious, Sep 10, 2008.

1. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Well,i have a MBP 17 glossy.

Behind me there is a window so the light reflects on my screen.I was using iTunes where the background is grey and i noticed something weird...

The center of my screen(only a small spot) isn't smooth.It appears to be something like a small layer of glue....!I tried cleaning it with water.Nothing. With glass cleaning chemical. Nothing.

How am i going to clear that thing?????:mad:

Thanks...:(

2. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

3. rogers106 macrumors member

How long have you had this computer?

If it's new, or even new-ish, it's likely just a manufacturing defect. The Apple Store will replace your computer (at no cost to you) with a new one if that's the case.

If you've had it for awhile, it's possible that it's something that you've done... I can't really help you there.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Is it inside or outside? Rub the back of your hand over the spot to feel whether the spot is rough or smooth, or when its really really quiet try rubbing a straw or something that will make a sound if its rubbed over a rough spot. Put your ear very close to hear. No point cleaning the outside if its inside.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

Thought of something else .... put a document with the same uniform grey colour behind the spot, and then see what happens if you change the light, or change the brightness of the screen.

6. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Yes i can still see it.It's from the outside.But i can only see it from a specific
    angle and specific light behind.Will iKlear help?

I have it for about one month.The problem is that my aunt bought it and brought to me from America...Are they going to accept a change here?

7. rogers106 macrumors member

Not 100% sure how they handle international, but... I know for me, I live in CT (where there ARE Apple Stores), and go to school in VT (where there are none). If I had a problem, they would mail me a box to ship it back, or mail me the part (happened with a battery I needed replaced).

Give the Apple phone support a call and see what they say.

8. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

You mean Apple in America?Because here we don't have an Apple Store but we have a retail store but it's not entirely called as an Apple Store.

So which one do you recommend to call?

9. rogers106 macrumors member

Call Apple in America... (1800MYAPPLE) they'll help you out or be able to point you in the right direction.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Man you need to stop going to those websites!

11. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

Yeah, check the spot out under a black light and get back to us!

12. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

What should i press for MYAPPLE?

13. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

1-800-692-7753.

14. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

I can't call them from Greece.It says that the number does not exist.Any other ideas?

15. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I typed "call usa from greece" into Google and this site came up: http://www.ehow.com/how_18138_call-united-states.html

It basically says you need to dial "00", "1", the 3-digit area code, and then the number.

So to call Apple, you would need to dial 00-1-800-692-7753. :D

You also should be aware that you may be charged extra by your phone company for making an international call.

16. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Thanks. I'll let you know how it'll go........

17. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Call the Apple department in your own country, don't call US. That doesn't make sense. Your local Apple phone number is somewhere on the box or in the user's manual.

18. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

You may be better off just trying to find a way to clean it... use any kind of screen cleaner before you start blowing money on sending it out (assuming you're charged; if it's still under warranty and covered, you should be ok). I know from experience trying to fix minor screen problems can get worse. On my old macbook, I had a similar issue. I had my brother clean it off, but at the same time got a whole lot of water stuck inside the screen. I then paid the money to have my friend Kevin change it... which screwed the casing up around the screen and keyboard.

Basically, be VERY VERY careful on how you go about cleaning the screen. I will never spray the solution directly on the screen... that's how I got into the "water-behind-the-screen" problem.

Good luck!

19. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Thanks for the info. Yes it is still under warranty because i bought it a month ago.So if it's a manufacturers problem i guess i won't pay much. Only the shipping.

I'll call here too before calling Apple there but i don't think i'll have any luck because the shop here isn't called Apple Store but Rainbow...:(Which sucks because it's not officially(by every means) an Apple store....:(
    And the guys there are pretty stupid.No one likes them here....

20. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Oh something else to ask.Won't i have a problem with my local "apple store" since the cord is made for US and not for europe?

21. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

So for anyone who is interested or has something to say here's what happened.

I sent it to the store here in Greece but after a week they replied that Apple won't give me permission to repair it so if i want to repair it i will need 500euros.....:eek:

They said that i should give it a try and send Apple an email pointing the problem but i can't seem to find the email anywhere.

What should i do now? It's not something that i have done... It came from manufacture in that way... It's not my fault...

Very dissapointed....

But, any thoughts?

22. coogee macrumors regular

Try contacting Apple, rather than any reseller, even if it is Apple in the USA.

Try an email. Your warranty should be international, it just doesn't look like there is any Apple Greece, you might end up having to do it via Italy but Apple HQ should be able to advise you.

A quick google showed up 'Rainbow Greece are carp'! so definitely skip their advice/support! Good luck.

23. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Yeah they do suck bad.... But they said that Apple answered them that. Anyway, does anyone know any email address that can help me?

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate it!:)

24. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

25. gusious thread starter macrumors 65816

gusious

Sorry for bumping this thread but these are the latest news. I'm sending my MBP to America to short this thing out.

I can't believe Apple don't have an e-mail so people can contact with the company. Disappointing...:(