What the heck is wrong with my 5.5G iPod?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wolfpup, May 18, 2007.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I'm not sure what forum to stick this in, and I'm getting a bit annoyed with my 5.5G iPod. I'm not sure if this is just my unit (wonder if it's still under warranty?) all 5.5s, an iTunes problem, or what.

From the beginning, it sometimes won't play video. I have to reboot it once every couple of weeks or it'll just got to a black screen and sit there. It sometimes won't start an audio track either, though that's more rare.

Quite often when I disconnect it (always through iTunes), it looks like it's empty-no podcasts, music, etc. show up. I have to reconnect it, and that fixes it when I eject again (I also have to reenable cover art to get it to show up again.)

Just in the last two days it's started playing tracks from exactly half way through. Like with audiobook CDs I own and have ripped, I'll be listening to it, and about every 5th track or so will start from EXACTLY halfway through, and I have to realize it's happened, and rewind to the beginning of the track.

I've got issues with iTunes having old podcasts pop back in to download as though they're new (it must not handle RSS quite right). But that's just iTunes.

Anyway, this stuff is starting to bug me. This is formatted FAT 32 by the way...maybe it works if it's HFS? I kind of wonder if the OS they're running on these things just isn't robust enough for all the stuff they do now :(

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Can you take it into an Apple Store; if you can replicate your problems I'm sure they can fix it for you or replace it.

3. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Nope, I'm nowhere near an Apple store (5 hour drive). Plus it's all kind of intermittent. :(

4. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I assume you've tried to reformat it?

5. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, just using the built-in thing in iTunes. I think I'm going to do that again for the heck of it as soon as I'm listened to some podcasts I have on there that I don't have backed up anywhere else.