What the HECK is wrong with my battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachsternelson, Nov 16, 2010.

1. zachsternelson macrumors newbie

Just take a look at the pics I posted. This is about 3 minutes after a restart!

Attached Files:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably nothing. "Time remaining" is not an accurate indicator of battery capacity in most cases.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you properly calibrated your battery?
    Have you properly maintained your battery?
    The Activity Monitor screen caps are irrelevant.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

4. zachsternelson thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd say so, check out my current screen cap:

Yes,
    Yes (aren't those two questions the same?)

I gave screen caps of the Activity Monitor to show that I wasn't using any processes, because AFAIK the time remaining thing shows you your time based off your avg CPU usage. I don't think it's that irrelevant.

Attached Files:

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Using Activity Monitor and choosing your settings will not show CPU intensive tasks.

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

6. zachsternelson thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm alright,
    looks like the kernal is fluctuating between 3% and 8%
    activity monitor is using ~3%
    and the rest is little things using 1-3% and going back to zero.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Those are normal CPU usage numbers, but maybe during the time you saw the [​IMG] Spotlight was shortly indexing ("mds" process) or some other shorter CPU high was existing during that time.

As noted before, and maybe or probably in that "completely new and unknown FAQ" posted by that newbie GGJstudios, the time fluctuates, as you can see here [​IMG].

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they're not the same. Calibrating makes your reporting more accurate, but properly maintaining involves things like running on battery at least every few days, rather than running on AC power all the time.
    You could have your system loaded to the max, or completely idle. The fact that your battery isn't fully charged only shows time remaining based on the current charge, which is what? You also don't show your battery health. Your time remaining will fluctuate from minute to minute, lagging behind changes in the current demands on your battery, which include things like screen brightness, and attached bus-powered devices, none of which are revealed on Activity Monitor. That's why the Activity Monitor is irrelevant in this situation. It doesn't tell enough of the story to be useful.

9. zachsternelson thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I check my battery health?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the link I posted to the Battery FAQ. It's all there.