What the heck...you can't activate an iPhone on Christmas day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Dec 25, 2010.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Bought my wife an iPhone 4 yesterday and it was a surprise so the guy didn't activate it in store (so that her current iPhone would still work until today). He said to call "the number" and use the UCID on the box to activate it.

He didn't give me a number to call...but I searched online for the AT&T activation number, called it, and it said they are not answering calls today due to a circumstance that is out of their control.

And yes, I did connect it to iTunes and go through all that but it says "No Service" on the phone and her old phone is still functioning.

2. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

They're probably getting a tonne of phones bring activated today.

3. JASApplications macrumors 65816

because Christmas Day and Boxing are the 2 busiest days of the year for activation.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

They're not only getting heavily loaded, but there's also reportedly a bug in the iTunes app store:

Updates not showing first time

Easy to get around, though.

5. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

You may be able to activate it at att.com/activations

6. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

There is always the option to wait until tomorrow as well.

7. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

When I bought my iPhones the person told me that they would be activated once I connected them to iTunes. This worked like a charm. I didn't have to call or anything. When they rung up the phones and scanned the serial numbers (or whatever they actually did) the phones were good to go. The phones were never even opened at the store!

8. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Your best bet is to just connect it to iTunes (which you've already done) let it walk you through the activation process, and then wait. Maybe reboot the phone too.

Also, does her old phone work? If so, then yeah, the activation isn't happening yet...

9. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

It took me a loooooong time on hold but I finally got AT&T to activate over the phone. The guy said they were swamped with new iPhone activations today

10. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

This is what happened to me 2 years ago with my 3G. I politely asked if they would waive the activation fee because of this and they did. So maybe you guys can use this to your advantage.;)

11. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

How do you get around it without clicking the "download all updates" button. All my updates have disappeared, but since two of them are buggy releases, I don't want to download them along with the stable ones.

12. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

This is ridiculous...phone still says "Waiting for activation" over 24 hours later. What the hell, I thought this was supposed to be pretty easy to activate an iPhone.