What the heck?!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Heather1, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

My itune doesn't recognize my ipod when i connect it to my laptop for the first time. Basically it has no reaction. Is it that you have to connect them with the stand or something ?!

Help.

2. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

You should just be able to connect it without a dock or stand.

What OS?
    Is iTunes up to date?
    Does your iPod's screen change when you connect it?
    What kind of Touch is it? 1G or 2G?
    Is it brand new or has it worked fine before?

3. Heather1 thread starter macrumors regular

Heather1

Thanks for your response.

i have window xp

Itune 8.0.1

Ipod's screen is a picture of a usb cable with an arrow pointing up to an itunes icon

Ipod touch 2G

Brand new.

:(

4. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Maybe power off your laptop, plug in your iPod to the computer, then boot it up. Maybe it will recognize it then, if not, remove iTunes and reinstall. Good luck ^_^

5. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Aha! When I got my 2G replaced at an Apple Store last week the guy at the Genius Bar connected a power adaptor to the new one just to check it was OK and the same picture came up on the screen. Probably means the USB cable's working, the iPod's working but for some reason XP and iTunes aren't picking up the iPod.

Does the iPod show up in My Computer as a drive or anything? Is it in System Devices in Control Panel?

I know it's a pain but maybe a fresh install of iTunes (as a last resort if you've got a big library to sort).

Is this your first iPod? If not, does your old one work with your new USB cable and iTunes?

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The image of the cable pointing to the iTunes logo is the default image that appears before the iPod is connected to iTunes for the first time. It also appears when it's in recovery mode.

7. Heather1 thread starter macrumors regular

Heather1

It shows up in my computer but itunes doesn't recognize it.

I uninstalled Itunes and reinstalled it again but when i launched it, my library and playlists are still there. Are they supposed to be there or itunes should be blank ?!

My first ipod ever and i'm having a bad experience with it.

Can i take my laptop and ipod to an Apple store or something?! For sure they're not gonna fix the itune for me hah ? :(

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, your music and playlists should be there. Uninstalling merely removes the program, it doesn't remove any of the media associated with it.