What the hell? Apple acquires iFixit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
http://computermagazine.com/2014/04/01/apple-acquires-diy-firm-ifixit/
Do-it-yourself repair company iFixit, which has in the past been hard on Apple’s repair policies, on Tuesday announced it has been purchased by Apple for an undisclosed amount.
Guess Apple really doesn't want us trying to fix our phones on our own ;)

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Just got the email about it. After carefully reading the email one more time, I saw this at the bottom:

(Before calling us to express your thoughts, please check your calendar.)

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
You read it wrong. Instead, iFixit is buying Apple and will re-release the current lineup to add RAM slots and access doors to all iPads and iPhones. They will also print the iFixit score on the retail boxes!

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Oh wait, it's the 1st. I shouldn't check my phone after waking up in the middle of the night. -_-

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Just got the email about it. After carefully reading the email one more time, I saw this at the bottom:

(Before calling us to express your thoughts, please check your calendar.)
Ignore and disregard all tech news for the next 24 hours.
Oh wait, it's the 1st. I shouldn't check my phone after waking up in the middle of the night. -_-
Argh! :p

They got me boys... they got me good ;)

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Apple is now searching Ifixit's records to find out who sold aftermarket pentalobe screwdrivers.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Really believing a major news story on April First :rolleyes:
Its a joke and a good one at that :p

Last edited:

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
iFixit sells out to Apple!

I got an email this morning from iFixit. Here is the web page version:

http://createsend.ifixit.com/t/ViewEmail/r/0BC3B8FBC3B7E2FA2540EF23F30FEDED/DDD6308B3F7387F56A4D01E12DB8921D

If you visit the new website, Apple says "Why “fix it yourself” when you can upgrade? No need to waste time repairing your Apple device. Upgrade it instead. With iFixit’s help, there will always be a newer, better device for sale."

That's right, just buy a new computer! Sheesh!

I wonder how long Apple will keep the old iFixit website up. This is not good news--for anyone other than Apple, and the former owners of the iFixit website.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I got an email this morning from iFixit. Here is the web page version:

http://createsend.ifixit.com/t/ViewEmail/r/0BC3B8FBC3B7E2FA2540EF23F30FEDED/DDD6308B3F7387F56A4D01E12DB8921D

If you visit the new website, Apple says "Why “fix it yourself” when you can upgrade? No need to waste time repairing your Apple device. Upgrade it instead. With iFixit’s help, there will always be a newer, better device for sale."

That's right, just buy a new computer! Sheesh!

I wonder how long Apple will keep the old iFixit website up. This is not good news--for anyone other than Apple, and the former owners of the iFixit website.

Just my two cents.
Whose up for recreating all the guides so future owners of these older Macs will get to repair them like we did.

EDIT: Can't believe you fell for it. This has to be the best April Fools hoax in the history of computer repairs! Figured I'd play along!

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
Whose up for recreating all the guides so future owners of these older Macs will get to repair them like we did.

EDIT: Can't believe you fell for it. This has to be the best April Fools hoax in the history of computer repairs! Figured I'd play along!
:eek: Oh, iFixit, you guys suck.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Ifixit brought by apple

Hello, not sure if this is the right place to post it so if I'm wrong could some one move it.
Apple has acquired Ifixit for an undisclosed price which has been sent out to all customers of Ifixit. Apple has also said that they will committee to "most replaceable electronic devices and personal computers on the market."
Here is the copy of the email I got:
"

We’re pleased to announce that iFixit has been acquired by Apple.

iFixit is the industry leader in the global repair movement. With more than 10,000 repair guides and millions of community members worldwide, iFixit has become the most trusted source for “before-you-buy” reviews of consumer electronics and “after-it-breaks” repair documentation.

Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and generally does not discuss their purpose or plans. And financial details have not yet been disclosed. But, we at iFixit feel we ought to explain ourselves to our loyal community.

“Everyone has a number”, admitted Kyle Wiens, iFixit’s CEO. “I didn’t think there was a reasonable number that would make me say, ‘You know I was going to change the world with repair documentation but here’s a number.’” In the end, Apple gave us a number that we couldn’t refuse.

But it isn’t just a number for iFixit. As part of the deal, Apple made a commitment to produce the most replaceable electronic devices and personal computers on the market. This is a clear win for the whole iFixit community.

Apple is working hard to make devices last long enough to be upgraded or irrelevant, making repairability an antiquated notion. iFixit will become a key player in the future of Apple device development, starting with the new iFixit Replaceability Index.

It has been an exciting adventure for all of us at iFixit, and we can’t thank our dedicated community enough.

Let's start our next chapter together!
"
What do you think everyone :)
Looks like I got April fooled -_- sorry guys!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.