What the hell changed with the dock? No sound output from iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Vegeta-san, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Back before 2.0 (and before I had my iPhone in a Contour Showcase on a perennial basis), I always used to use the dock that came with my 1st Gen iPhone to charge my phone and play music through its speaker simultaneously. It worked BEAUTIFULLY. The table the dock was on would reflect the sound in such a direction as to amplify it extensively. Just two days ago, I decided to find that dock again and use it exclusively as work in my cubicle only to find out that NOOWWWWW, when I press play in the iPhone app, sound wont come through the iPhone anymore. It's almost like its depending exclusively on the line out (from the dock) for sound. But I've NEVER had to plug anything into that before....Would someone PLEASE explain to me what the hell is going on and how to fix it? Thanks.

2. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Maybe a dumb question, but did you upgrade to an iPhone 3G and now you're trying to use it with the old dock?

If so, they changed the pinout in the 3G dock, so older chargers and some audio devices won't work properly. I had a dock to 3.5mm auxillary output adapter I could not use with my 3G but worked fine with my 1G Touch.

Mike

3. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I most definitely did not man. Still using my 1st gen iPhone. The dock that came with the 1st gen iPhone isnt a universal dock. It's plastic cutout is exactly made for 1st gen iPhone base. So that's not it....lol, this is so confusing. I wish it would just work like it did in the past. I was looking around in the settings for any option but I couldnt find it.

4. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Does sound play out of the speakers when it's not in the dock?

6. gimme.junkmail macrumors newbie

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It was one of the iOS updates that changed the docked behaviour of the iPhone. Alarm tones still come out the speaker everything else is ported through the line out.