What the hell happened to Game Center?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by William Gates, Jun 8, 2010.

1. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

Prominently displayed as a tent pole feature in the iOS 4 preview and not even mentioned yesterday? Can any devs chime in and tell us if it's something that will need to be put in app or is there going to be a dedicated gaming center app either in the os or as a free download through the app store?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its an application included in 4.0

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think it's useless until game developers start using it in their own games. My guess is that they didn't talk about it yesterday because there's nothing new to mention right now. Once games start getting updated they'll probably start talking about it again.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Both of these. It is an app just like stocks or weather and also it is not functioning until the official OS is released I'm sure, at that point games and more users will be up and ready.

5. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

Game center was not detailed in yesterday's keynote because it will not be up and running until the fall...i don't have the link but just search the forums...it was on here last night.

I also can't wait for game center.

6. arykmax macrumors regular

We may not hear alot about this until the next conference in September that is focused more on media.

7. William Gates thread starter macrumors 6502

William Gates

It's not in any of the screen shots I've seen, nor is it listed in the features section on the official Apple webpage.

8. William Gates thread starter macrumors 6502

William Gates

gotcha, makes sense. Let's hope this doesn't go the way of push notifications and not get it until iOS 5. I'm not much of a gamer, but I think it's going to be huge.

9. shandyman Suspended

they said at the OS4 event inapril that game center wouldn't be running until the fall...

10. monksealpup macrumors regular

I poked around in it last night. Early in the night it wasn't even connecting to the server. Later, I could register and add friends, but it still had a lot of development stuff in it like calling certain areas "sandbox" and the like.

There's really nothing of interest there, and I cannot imagine there will be until game developers write something specifically to hook into it.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The app is already there. I can click on it and it takes me to a create an account screen.