what the hell iOS4 Update!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisisarcadia, Jun 22, 2010.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

so my itunes has been backing up my phone for a good 12 hours now and its not even half way through. why is it taking so long to backup my phone?

2. frenchie0101 macrumors 6502

that does seem snail slow, when i had my 3gs on GM release it took literally 25 mins-ish to restore pretty much all 16gb

3. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

well i am doing an update not a restore then update. you think that could be the problem? i would like to keep the stuff that is on my phone that is why im not restoring it

4. Resist macrumors 68030

I am going through the same long process as well. I gave up 3 times and started all over. I even deleted tons of video I had on my iphone and it's still slow as heck.

5. frenchie0101 macrumors 6502

well the steps should be.. download new ios4 let it do its stuff it will start installing and then once done that it will ask if you want to set up as new phone or restore from previous back up

6. kicko macrumors 65816

Dont feel bad mine was about 8 hours. I just figured it was since i have not synced the phone for about 2 months.

7. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Took me longer to download the iOS 4 image than it did to update my 3GS. I sync it pretty regularly, though, so the backup was fresh before I started.

Once downloaded, it installed in about 10 minutes. Boom!

8. thisisarcadia thread starter macrumors 6502

See heres what im confused about before i even downloaded the new software i synced and backed up my phone. so it was already backed up but the software update itself required a backup. Why? i have a 3G and a lot of information on my phone.

9. Sean006 macrumors 6502

Back ups are still an issue today ? Still takes forever?

10. Resist macrumors 68030

I have been trying to install OS4 for over a day now and the backup is still not complete. I deleted all the video on my iPhone prior to starting the process. I have less than 3GB of data on my 16GB iPhone 3G.

Why is this taking to long? I never had this issue will the other upgrades!

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I backed up my 3G manually by right clicking on it and choosing backup. It took less then five minutes to do. I then clicked restore, it asked me if I wanted to backup, I clicked no. Restore took less than ten minutes. I then restored my backup and I was up in less than 30.

It seems that the problem is happening when people allow iTunes to backup the phone as part of the restore instead of doing it ahead of the restore.