What the hell?!? iPod Touch REQUIRES registration!?!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wolfpup, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Am I missing something here? My Touch would do NOTHING out of the box-it required syncing with iTunes. Okay, that's a bit odd, but okay.

But...when I connected it, my only options were to register it, or "cancel/later/whatever". When I did that, it just gave me a log-in/register screen for an Apple account...and that was it. There was NO way around that process that I could see.

I went ahead and registered it, because what choice do I have? I can't return in. But...wow. I would NEVER have bought that had I known. I've been using an iPod since 2003, but I would have switched to something else (and I will, when this thing goes)...unless I'm totally missing something.

I like iTunes, but I can always use Juice or whatever it's called for my podcasts.

2. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

3. manuminhas macrumors newbie

Why does it matter? it only takes like a 1-2 minutes.

I'm getting my iPod touch 2nd generation Thursday :D!!!!!!! I ordered it but I'm having trouble waitinggggggg

4. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Yeah, these newish ipods are requiring registration for activation. I bought my mom that fatty nano and it required itunes activation. Not a big deal though, didn't take that long to set up.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

its not like its forcing you to buy anything, just apple wanting to know that its products are being used.

6. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Wow. What astounding responses. I'm pretty shocked.

Well I wasn't given a choice. I would *NEVER* have bought this had I known, and I'm done with Apple products after this. I was buying a Macbook Pro after the update, but forget that. This actually surpasses Microsoft's DRM/sleaziness.

7. Hamiltonian macrumors member

I don't have an iPod Touch yet, but I can definetely say this is incorrect info about the Gen 3 nano (fatty). I just got one of these for my mom, and was greeted by that annoying register screen in iTunes (unlike other posters here, I totaly agree with the OP that it is very off-putting). I cliked the "Later" button or whatver it was called on the bottom left hand side. I think the next time it asked me to register the button changed to "Never" and I clicked that. Then it came up with a screen that asked for an Apple ID and a link to register a new one. But at the bottom there was an option to click "No Apple ID account" and it then stopped asking for one.

I too would be disapointed if the've now changed this with the iPod Touch.

8. Funplex macrumors regular

Im just confused at why you're so pissed that you have to activate it.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

All the registration does is update Apple's warranty info server so that it's more accurate with the purchase date of the product.

Have a whinge why don't ya?

Honestly, what a massive over-reaction to a situation. Did you get a rip in a your tin-foil hat and let in some cosmic background mind-control radiation at some stage?

10. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

If you still get one, let me know if you find away around it-if there is I won't be so pissed off-but it's nothing obvious that I could see.

Dang, not sure what I'll switch to. I don't think the Zune requires this, but I'm not a fan of the desktop software (at least not the previous gen version). Not sure if Sony's little players require special software, or if you just drop files on them like a disk drive or what.

I really don't want to go through all the reasons right now, but I'm pretty horrified by how many posters on here don't immediately see all the issues involved.

11. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Perhaps I'm out of the loop here, but care to elaborate on the "issues involved"?

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Dude, I too am flabbergasted by how much you care about this. Would you mind informing us of what "the man" will do to you by registering your iPod so Apple can update the warranty information? Just because you have to register it you would actually not buy it?
    [sarcasm]
    What exactly are you smoking, I thought people stopped smoking that stuff decades ago.:rolleyes:[/sarcasm]

13. Funplex macrumors regular

.....Apple is stealing our souls to power their doomsday device??

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I agree with the OP that registration should not be compulsory. What if you buy an iPod while on holiday with no Internet connection and try to synch it with your laptop? If the information here is correct, you wouldn't be able to use it. A music player should not depend on an Internet connection.

15. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Anyone know if I have recourse to get rid of this thing? I *should* since obviously I do not accept their licensing agreements.

I feel so sorry for you that you're this clueless. I really do not feel like getting in to some argument-just get yourself educated, or lay off the pathetic jokes. You're just looking ignorant to anyone who understands the implications of this.

16. MySaturdaySelf macrumors member

well. if you have a spam email address (mine is @live.com), and a grandcentral telephone, plus a paypal virtual card, you should be ok with any website asking your information. anyway, you should feel comfortable with apple. This ipod touch 2g is my first ever ipod product, i think itunes, although eat a little bit resource, do help me sync better with the ipod. and I don't even want to jailbreak it now.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

explain these supposed implications then why dontcha. You seem aweful paranoid.

18. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

"OH NOES I DUNT WONT 2 REG MI IPOD COZ IT SCARZY"

Get over it.
    Apple aren't going to hunt you down.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree with the op. i also hate how you have to have an apple id (that makes you supply a cc) to download free things from the music store. it didnt use to be like that if i remember right

20. Funplex macrumors regular

Seriously, Just make a gmail address and register via that means.

I'd love to know why having to register is really bad. I've had iTunes since it first came out, and I've had ipods since 2006 and I've never heard of anything bad happening to registrants---

Unless it was that MSNBC commercial where they put out brand new bait iPods and waited for people to walk off with them (instead of returning them to lost and found or the police) and they used phony iTunes software CD's to track down and speak to the people who stole the iPods to see why they took them.

But of course... that happened for a reason-- they took those ipods, and didn't buy them.

21. stevehp macrumors 6502

I'm confused as well...I, for one, understand how important privacy is on the net, but this seems like a non-issue to me...

Any respectable business likes to keep track of how many of their products have been used vs. sitting in a warehouse...I don't see the problem

If you want to toss the touch, I'll take it off you :)

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

um, ive never had a credit card listed on my account, and i can dowload all the free stuff i want....

23. stevehp macrumors 6502

that's untrue...You do not need to supply a CC for free stuff/redeeming certificates, etc

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

really? i have been unable to figure out that

25. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Tried to register the new nano but objected to having to fill in how old I was. It's not particularly secret or anything, but why should I have to fill it in if I don't want? Wouldn't accept the registration without filling that detail in so I haven't registered it. It still works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.