What the hell is an SRMB??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joefinan, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

2. seanofford macrumors member

Mac Book Santa Rosa - have you heard of the search button?

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Santa Rosa MacBook, I believe.

EDIT: And it's seanofford FTW. Beat me by a second it seems :p

4. nikiski macrumors regular

How about Serially Reducible Mental Block? :D

Or Super Ridiculous MotherBoard?

PS: Sorry, couldn't resist. It's Santa Rosa based MacBook alright, but still... :p

Hope you have a sense of humor. :)

5. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still don't understand - what does a Santa Rosa MB do that's so different?

6. nikiski macrumors regular

Santa-Rosa based MacBook uses the GM965 north bridge, which includes X3100 integrated graphics plus the support of up to 4GB of memory.

With the previous generations of MacBook GM945 north bridge chips are used, and thus the included integrated graphics was GMA950 which "did not perform well" according to some people.

As a side note, the X3100 uses 144MB of your main memory, while the GMA950 uses 64MB.

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

SR = newer generation of intel chips = increased performance/energy efficiency

8. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for explaining (rather than writing a flippant comment like "Have you heard of the search button?").

I was confused because Santa Rosa is mentioned nowhere on the Apple site and all the forums talk about SR but nowhere does anyone seem to explain what it is.

So are all new MBs Santa Rosa MBs?

9. nikiski macrumors regular

Yes. The current generation of MacBooks are "Santa-Rosa" based. Hopefully you'll be getting one soon. They are beautiful machines (I don't have one, but one of my friends has it).

10. TheStu macrumors 65816

I was talking to 'a guy' (you know what i mean... you know, a guy) about this, and according to him, Santa Rosa is the codename for the new Centrino platform, so technically speaking, the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros are not Santa Rosa at all. They have all the requirements except the wireless cards. Macs use Atheros cards, Santa Rosa requires the Intel wireless card.

But you know what? Screw it, it's an SRMB. Easier than ABNQSRMB (Almost But Not Quite Santa Rosa MacBook)

11. nikiski macrumors regular

I agree with you, but if one get so precise with naming nobody would understand what product he/she is referring to... :rolleyes:

12. theman macrumors 6502a

Yes, and the Macbook Pros have had SR since June. That's why all the macbook buyers are so excited about it.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Someone should tell you noobs that they're not actually Santa Rosa because they don't use the Intel 4965 wireless card.

They should be Crestline Macbooks because the big change is that they're now using the Crestline Northbridge and Southbridge.

:p

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Stevie Ray MacBook. Comes with a hat, long hair and only in one colour - blues.

15. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I must say, after asking a fairly straight-forward question, I am appalled at how rude many of the 'Mac Rumors' members are.

I have only been a member of this forum for a few weeks but am ashamed to be associtated with it. For a forum that is supposed to welcome open discussion about Macs (for people with knowledge and those without), it is surprisingly unwelcoming.

I am proud to own a Mac but not proud that my fellow Mac-owners can be so flippant and downright rude.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think the tone of your first post set things off on a poor start. However, your question has been answered, so this thread serves no further purpose... thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.