What the hell is happening to my screen?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Riddler, May 6, 2013.

1. The Riddler macrumors newbie

Hey MacRumors, I have a big problem! Ever since yesterday, I started getting graphical errors, like everything is messed up.
    Can someone help me out?
    It's not just on iTunes, it's basically the whole notebook.
    [​IMG]

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

It's likely not the screen but rather a GPU problem. Unless a possible reset does something you'll probably need to take it to an Apple store as these problems can't be fixed on your own unless you know what you're doing.

Do you still have warranty?

^Oops, posted while I was.

4. The Riddler thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't had the Macbook long, it's so hard to understand! How will it affect my computer? I know the Macbook isn't for gaming but i've been playing computer games on it and using Wrappers to play Windows PC games on it!
    I don't have warranty any more, either!

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If there is no warranty then you're on your own to fix it on your own dime. That could very well mean the GPU will eventually fail and when that happens, the computer is basically hosed until you replace the GPU. Any way to do a hardware test?

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry, i'm confused by the highlighted statements. In the US, warrantee is 1 year, and I was under the impression that in the UK it was 2 years (assuming it was an inherent fault extant at time of purchase, or something like that.). Either way, how long is "not very long"?

7. The Riddler thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the Macbook, not last November, but the November before that. I don't know if it's still under warranty.

8. Pheo macrumors regular

Good shout, given you're from New England :). The UK law under SOGA (Sales of Goods Act) is that goods must be fit for purpose, and be of satisfactory quality.

So, for instance, your £1700 Retina Macbook fails 1 month out of warranty. Would a reasonable person expect a computer of that cost, and advertised quality, to last more than this period? I think most people would say so. Therefore you approach the retailer stating you wish to make a claim under SOGA.

This leaflet is a great source of info: http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/738369/738375/OFT002_SOGA_explained.pdf

Note, I would not recommend going in all guns blazing, and would first approach a kindly apple store genius by way of an appointment, as they may assist without the hassle. And remember not to get aggravated with the person(s) in store, it won't help.

Good luck!

9. The Riddler thread starter macrumors newbie

Well said, thank you.

10. Pheo macrumors regular

Hope you managed to get it fixed!

11. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Ditto on the graphics card, or perhaps even a corrupt OS. The fact that you took a screenshot and it still reproduces the problem indicates it is NOT a hardware problem, because if it was a problem with the LCD the screenshot would show a perfect screen.

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I had a similar problem under Mac OS X 10.4.11. The problem was a corrupted OS on a defective HDD.

13. The Riddler thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll scan the HDD tonight, thanks.